cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to build & launch anything (Atollic TrueSTUDIO lite)

davebell9
Associate II
Posted on October 19, 2010 at 21:40

Total noob at this, trying to (re-)build and launch the demo code on the Discovery board as a baseline.

I'm running under Windows XP, downloaded and installed 

Atollic TrueSTUDIO lite.

Discovery board is connected via USB cable, and happily runs its default program.

I succeeded in opening and (at least apparently) building the project, but what now?

When I select Run, I get ''Unable To Launch: The selection cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches.'' popup.

Is there a simple, clear, step-by-step beginner's guide to operating the tools?

Thanks!

Dave

11 REPLIES 11
Posted on October 21, 2010 at 00:11

I've tried to install 1.3.0 and 1.4.0, neither installed properly on my system, and the thing is huge and slow. I'm underwhelmed..

Download the 32KB demo/eval of Keil's uv4, it builds the VL demo with pretty much zero effort. Use debug to download and run as the ST-LINK driver is a bit buggy.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 21, 2010 at 06:19

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
davebell9
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2010 at 22:21

I'll give it a try. First time I looked at Keil, it didn't appear that their toolset supported the STM32 family.  Are the eval limitations significant?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted on October 21, 2010 at 22:43

I'll give it a try. First time I looked at Keil, it didn't appear that their toolset supported the STM32 family.  Are the eval limitations significant?

The Link/Debug is limited to 32 KB of object code. The printf()/scanf() work, and it can output .HEX files. There is a nag message that comes up when you start the debugger, and the link output indicates how much code has been generated.

It's bundled with a lot of the dev kits, although for the VL you have to download it. 4.11 or 4.12 should both work. The STM32 has been supported since 3.xx something, and Keil has their own STM32 dev board.

A 256KB version is available for about $2900.

Cheaper options worth considering are Rowley, and WinARM

davebell9
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2010 at 23:45

Ouch! $2900 to support a $10 dev board!

OK, downloaded and installed fine. I see some examples for various STM32F1xx devices and boards, but how do I configure it to talk to the Discovery board?

As I said, I'm totally new to this board and obviously to the tool, as well.

All I want to do to start with, is to rebuild the Discovery board's button/LED demo code, flash it, and then start to make incremental changes.

Dave

Posted on October 22, 2010 at 01:22

So presuming you have the VL firmware source, including the demo app, you need to open the project in the Project\Demo\MDK-ARM directory. Make sure the options for the project have the ST-LINK selected for Debug, along with checking ''load application at startup''. Build the project, then Debug -> Start/Stop, then Run.

davebell9
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2010 at 18:38

Yes!!  Thank you, Clive!

I very much appreciate your help...

Dave

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on October 22, 2010 at 18:46

''Ouch! $2900 to support a $10 dev board!''

No, of course not!

It's $2900 to support any ARM-based chip with up to 256K of code!

Posted on October 22, 2010 at 18:55

The full version is $5K, then again the Green Hills equivalent is about $20K