cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP socket

federicomanfrin
Associate II
Posted on January 09, 2012 at 13:27

Is it possible to have a ethernet port and open a socket port where a PC can send/receive a stream of data with the ARM processor?

How should I do this? Do you have a tutorial/sample for me?

Thank you

#socket-ethernet
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on January 09, 2012 at 14:12

You need a TCP/IP protocol stack. A lightweight one like LwIP might suffice. Google around a bit and find one that fits your needs/costs.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
federicomanfrin
Associate II
Posted on January 09, 2012 at 17:23

Do you think I can setup a socket and send/receive stream of strings data using that?

Thank you

Posted on January 09, 2012 at 17:51

Do you think I can setup a socket and send/receive stream of strings data using that?

I can't speak to your skills to implement/port code, but most of the STM32 Ethernet TCP/IP examples come with a simple HTTP web server which clearly demonstrate an ability to send/receive data via sockets. The professionally written/licensed solutions are likely to come with more clean/clear examples.

Look for one of the many STM32 Development Kits with Ethernet, and demo applications.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/APPLICATION_NOTE/CD00255062.pdf

How familiar are you with socket programming in general? For example have to implemented a HTTP client/server, POP or SMTP?

Here's an OS example of FTP

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
amin23
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2012 at 08:01

Some useful Application notes: AN3376, AN3384 and AN3365:

http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/product/250176.jsp

federicomanfrin
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2012 at 09:06

Thanks to everybody for the tips!

I'll get inside