Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32Cube versus STD_peripheral

andre239955_st
Associate II
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 15:01

Hi all,

I have been working with ST for many years but the Cube software might make me move to a different brand! The Cube might be nice for newbies but it is a PAIN for people like me who need to push the micro's to their limits.

So please ST, give me back the std_peripheral!
11 REPLIES 11
Lead
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 15:17

From your lips to ST's ears !

But honestly, I got the impression that the Cube project is held up by higher, non-technical management decision, despite the obvious divergence between advertisement and reality. And thus it won't go away that easily ...

You can try to create you own library, though, if the notorious register-banging is no option ...

Radosław
Senior
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 15:27

The best choise, don't use any library ;). Like many profesionalist.

Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on March 30, 2016 at 15:47

Hi

The STM32Cube is a new approach for STM32 libraries offering HAL functions which are hardware independent. So you may use the same prototype for almost all products.

The STM32Cube comes with the

tool which is a initialization code generator. Please refer to

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00104712.pdf

for more details on how to use it.

You still be able to use  standard libraries and still exist new release published in our website. You need just to have new standard library release downloaded locally.

For any help regarding STM32Cube or Standard library, please submit your request on the forum ''

[DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Java/AllItems.aspx]STM32 Software Tools and Firmware

''.

-Hannibal-
andre239955_st
Associate II
Posted on April 12, 2016 at 12:12

Hi Hannibal,

We have many projects, all based on STD_PERIPH. We cannot afford to rewrite all of our low level stuff. You mentioned a locally download of the std_periph for the STM32F7, that sounds good but where can I download from???

Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on April 12, 2016 at 17:25

Hi ramakers.andre,

For the new families like STM32F7, only STM32Cube Hal Library is taken into account. A low layer drivers will be released soon to replace standard library directives and give more flexibility to users.

Till that day, I invite you to try using

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF259242

which helps you to build and generate your initialization code and customize then your project as you want by adding your own code. You can get inspired from a several example in the

http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1743/LN1897/PF261909

Many users migrate like that and are satisfied.

-Hannibal-
andre239955_st
Associate II
Posted on July 07, 2016 at 16:51

Hi Hannibal,

We are now 6 months later, is the promised library available now? I still can't find it.

In between time I have created my own std_periph files for the STM32F7.

Best regards,

André

Lead
Posted on July 08, 2016 at 11:57

>We are now 6 months later, is the promised library available now? I still can't find it.

>In between time I have created my own std_periph files for the STM32F7.

IMHO the right decision.

Having had a closer look at the Cube stuff myself for a F7 board, I quickly turned away. Not only because of the great number of bugs, but even more by the awkward design patterns that Cube enforces on applications.

andre239955_st
Associate II
Posted on November 04, 2016 at 11:08

Hi,

It seems I have made the right choice by making my own stdperiph library because there is still no reaction. At least with my own files I can make the little fellow run like hell 🙂

Regards,

Posted on June 27, 2017 at 09:01

Hi all,

We are 1 year

:(

later, ST promissed to release new low level drivers different from the Cube stuff. So where are they? I still can't find them on the site. Luckily I wrote the stdperiph files for the STM32F7 myself, otherwise I would have lost loads of performance.

How about letting ST know your thoughts on this issue? Please comment/vote  

Thanks,

André