Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The type of Flash memory in STM8

elil
Associate III
Posted on October 11, 2011 at 10:43

Hi,

I'm trying just to learn a bit about the Flash technologies. Since I'm just starting, my question is not too ''professional'', sorry (-:.

I know today there are 2 main flash types : NOR and NAND. Referring to STM8L, what is the Flash type used there ? Since the w/r operations look relatively fast in STM8,  I guess it utilize NAND or perhaps internal FLASH memory of MCUs is neither one of the mentioned types ? Thank you in advance.

#eeprom #what-does-eeprom-stand-for #memory
4 REPLIES 4
komarek.milan
ST Employee
Posted on October 11, 2011 at 13:46

Hello Yevpator,

Any of them. The STM8 programm and data memory is based on EEPROM technology ...

elil
Associate III
Posted on October 11, 2011 at 18:24

Hello,

But in the datasheet and the other documents i see there ''Flash program memory''. Flash is not EEPROM, isn't it ? I even found the Program manual PM0054 named ''How to program STM8L Flash program memory and data EEPROM'',so the Flash program memory and data EEPROM are not the same in STM8L. Thanks.

Andrew Neil
Chief
Posted on October 16, 2011 at 07:33

''EEPROM'' just stands for

E

lectrically

E

raseable

P

rogrammable

R

ead-

O

nly

M

emory.

The name says nothing about the technology used to implement it (beyond it being electrically eraseable).

It used to be the case that ''EEPROM'' was used to refer to devices specifically designed for non-volatile data storage - as opposed to code storage - but that was a distinction of usage rather than technology and, nowadays, Flash often is referred to as ''EEPROM''...

Andrew Neil
Chief
Posted on October 16, 2011 at 07:39

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory