Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM8L15x internal RC oscillator calibration

elil
Associate III
Posted on June 23, 2011 at 14:43

Dear,

The allowed tolerance of oscillator frequency in my planned application is 1%. I'd like to use HSI and periodically to calibrate it. There is an application note describing the process + SW code. The method applied there is to measure some referenced frequency and to compare the measured frequency vs the known value. The frequency reference should be generated by an external crystal. The method is OK, but in this way external crystal is required( = money, PCB place). I thought about another approach. I'd like to calibrate the HSI oscillator with temperature sensor. The best thing would be to build any linear(or another) function - Freq (temperature) but the Datasheet does not have Freq vs Temperature characteristic ( just a range of -2 to +2 %), so if I want this approach I could try to find the function by myself in experiment, Or slightly another method is to build a look-up table, also in experiment.

In the mentioned App. note I found a brief notice regarding this method, but I have a little doubt perhaps I'm missing something and I'm not paying attention to a potential problem that might exists with this approach ? 

My application, as I see it now, will be in Active Halt mode with a wake-up period of 1 sec. Upon the wake-up it will be run during let's say 300us. During this run-mode or even one  in 5sec I may turn on the temperature sensor that needs just 20us to be measured. 

Any help  would be highly 

appreciated.

E.L.

2 REPLIES 2
lowpowermcu
Associate II
Posted on June 29, 2011 at 19:44

Hi Yevpator,

Just one comment, the HSI frequency depends on the supply voltage (VDD) so your experiments should be done at the same voltage as the final application.

If you are planning to power your STM8L by a battery so you should take care of it.

MCU Lüfter

mcuisp2
Associate II
Posted on August 16, 2011 at 13:03

Because of The internal LDO, Vdd is not impact to HSI.

HSI can trim when program

Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:44 PM

Subject: STM8L15x internal RC oscillator calibration

Hi Yevpator,

Just one comment, the HSI frequency depends on the supply voltage (VDD) so your experiments should be done at the same voltage as the final application.

If you are planning to power your STM8L by a battery so you should take care of it.

MCU Lüfter