oys_mo
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2010 at 05:12

Question regarding ARM assembler's LDR instruction and address rounding

13 REPLIES 13
oys_mo
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:18

Also - a separate, but related question - the same page says that in the case of LDR

''The loaded data is rotated right by one, two or three bytes according to bits [1:0] of the address.''

What's up with that?

EDIT: Okay, look at this:

Say we got the same exact program as above, except there is a

.byte 0x77

in the .data segment, just before the .word - giving us the following in memory (accounting for endianness):

77 BE BA FE CA

Assume that the 77-byte is word aligned. Now, the address of var1 surely will be the same as before + 1. If we follow what the page I linked to said, we would now round this address down so that we read the 4 bytes

77 BE BA FE

Note that I am talking about the first LDR here, I have not mixed in offsets yet.

Now the page says that we ought to rotate this right, a set amount of bytes according to the two least significant bits. Since the address we requested (the BE byte) is word aligned + 1, we know that its two least significant bits must be 10 (little endian). So we are going to rotate our data 1 byte to the right. Doing this, accounting for endianness, I get

BE BA FE 77

And as the page said,

''For a little-endian memory system, this causes the addressed byte to occupy the least significant byte of the register.''

But that is not what my debugger tells me. I get a nice 0xFEBABE77 in my register. So it seems like there has been no rotation... I am thoroughly confused.

Unaligned memory accesses will typically cause the processor to fault in most ARM implementations.

So you shouldn't do 32-bit or 16-bit access from ODD addresses. And 32-bit access should have (A0=A1=0)

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
oys_mo
Associate II

Hmm according to the docs on keils website unaligned access is available - and on by default - on ARMv7. I use GNU's assembler, though, so there might be differences. Guess I'll just keep my data aligned. 

damh
Associate II

In startup mode the mcus (STM32F103xx) support unaligned memory accesses, BUT they use much more cycles than aligned accesses (about factor 3-6). Accesses to flash can have higher factors because of waitstates!

In normal user mode unaligned access can fault. I think this can be disabled but with the same costs!

oys_mo
Associate II

I was in privileged mode, and it kind of worked, it just gave me slightly unexpected results...

It's not that I'm going to use unaligned memory access, I was just testing it 🙂 Knowledge is power, as they say.

stforum2
Associate II

Cortex-M3 LDR is different to ARM7 LDR.  There is no rotation on Cortex-M3.

For Cortex-M3 alignment behaviour see document ARM DDI 0405B section A3.2.

(Maybe there is a later edition of this document).

oys_mo
Associate II

Are you sure? The document you mentioned didn't say anything about rounding at all, not that I could find at least. Still, it's a useful resource.

stforum2
Associate II

Section A6.7.42 shows the encodings for LDR (immediate).

What code bytes is your assembler generating?

stforum2
Associate II

You need to include ldr r1,[r0,#3] in your assembly code.

After all, that is the instruction that was not doing what you expected.

01 68 is ldr r1,[r0]