cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink USB communication error

hh.bakker9
Associate II
Posted on February 04, 2011 at 02:25

I know that this forum is for the Discovery but I have a question regarding the STM3210C-Eval board, which is similar, and for which there is no forum.

I've been working with a small STM32 board, programming it with Atollic TrueStudio and the DeFUse Demonstration software. Slow work but making progress. I decided to speed things up by buying an STM3210C-Eval board and an ST-Link. The evaluation board powers up fine and runs the demo software. The ST-Link shows up as a USB drive on my computer with ST internet links on it. All good.

I connect the JTAG ribbon cable from the ST-Link to the evaluation board, plug the ST-Link into the USB and then the power to the evaluation board. Using the STM32 ST-Link Utility I try to connect to the board but I get an ''STLink USB communication error'' every time. I have made sure that the setting is for JTAG (although I checked SWD as well for a laugh). Also disconnected the ST-Link from the computer and got another error instead so the ST-Link is definitely visible and working.

I switched to another computer in case there was a problem with USB drivers but still had the same problem.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what is going wrong here? A simple newbie problem? A dud ST-Link?

#stm32f107 #jtag #debugger #error #usb
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on February 04, 2011 at 04:38

Stupid questions, but, you are using CN13 for JTAG, right?  There is also a CN12 with is for trace tools.  Both connectors have the same number of pins.  Easy to get into the wrong connector.

Good luck,

Jim

hh.bakker9
Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2011 at 21:59

There are no stupid questions, Jim. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is only one such connector in the ST-Link package, which I am going to have to assume is a CN13 for JTAG. Probably a safe assumption since it's the ST-Link's primary purpose.

Cheers

Huub