Associate II
Posted on September 19, 2008 at 14:32

Regarding Dynamic Memory Allocation

5 REPLIES 5
kishore
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:45

Hello All,

I am wondering if any one knows, how the dynamic memory allocation works in STM3210EVAL.

I have been searching all the code and library not even a single malloc function in the library.

Can someone show me the direction where i need to look for or how dynamic memory allocation works in STM3210EVAL board's code.

Thanks

Kishore

ryan2399
Associate II

Kishore,

Is it using dynamic memory? From what I saw the memory is being pre-allocated at compile time.

At any rate, how dynamic memory allocation works is dependant on your toolchain (i.e. IAR EWARM, Raisonance RIDE, etc...) not the ST firmware library. The function calls will be part of the toolchain's implementation of ''stdlib.c''.

If the toolchain isn't open source then the dynamic memory functions are likely being called from a precompiled library.

Ryan

st3
Associate II

Quote:

how the dynamic memory allocation works in STM3210EVAL.

As Ryan says, it has nothing to do with the hardware - it depends upon your software toolset.

Your toolset documentation should describe the implementation - and a decent embedded toolset should describe how to replace the default implementation with your own scheme...

kishore
Associate II

Thank you guys,

Yeah, you are right. I found that little bit later.I really appreciate your reply's.

Thank you.

kishore
Associate II

Thank you guys,

Yeah, you are right. I found that little bit later.I really appreciate your reply's.

Thank you.