cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ST-Link support 1.8V target JTAG I/O?

frankfrank9
Associate II
Posted on March 10, 2011 at 04:37

Does ST-Link support 1.8V target JTAG I/O?

4 REPLIES 4
nanayakkaraan
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:27

Hi,

In the ST Link user manual it is mentioned that,

''JTAG/SWD specific features:

– 3 V to 3.6 V application voltage supported on JTAG/SWD interface and 5 V

tolerant inputs''

The absence of a RESET typically assumes you have a human on-hand to cycle the big red switch when required.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
frankfrank9
Associate II

Yes, I read that ''3V to 3.6V'' business in the documentation too. But if so it begs the question.... what is ST's intention on doing JTAG with their new 1.8V processors?  Do I have to build a level-converter board to sit between their processor and their JTAG programmer? Seems pretty cumbersome, particularly when it's implied that their programmer can already deal with 1.65V signaling.

Hard to say, but this is why we see a lot of different JTAG pods, like for example the ULINK2 vs ULINK-ME, the latter being a small lower cost device WITHOUT voltage translation circuits, and the flexibility in core voltages those permit.

For example the J-LINK's use a ALVC164245 part. http://ics.nxp.com/support/techtips/levelshift/

One could make one's own interposer, use other more flexible JTAG pods, or wait for ST to deliver a lower voltage ST-LINK.

I would suspect ST and other ARM developers use more professional/flexible/cross-platform JTAG pods in general, rather than the ST-LINK.

You might want to check for F2xx support in the ST-LINK. Personally I expect them to release an ''F2 Discovery'' type board at some point, and we can jump on that.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..