cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging The STM8L-Discovery

normand
Associate II
Posted on March 29, 2011 at 19:21

There is actually 20 ''STM8S-Discovery'' in our classroom lab that works well with STVD debugger.  All message in this forum about debugging issue with ''STM8L Discovery'' using STVD suggest to try other computer as a possible solution so to make STVD communicate with the ST bords..

This is not real solution because we won't change all these new computers just to make ''8L'' version usable.

There must be someting wrong with STVD since DTVP do communicate normally with the ''STM8L'' boards on all computers in the same classroom lab.

So there is now 20 ''STM8L'' boards waiting on the shelf for a solution

Regards

N.R.

#debugging
9 REPLIES 9
napoleoni.jacques
ST Employee
Posted on March 30, 2011 at 10:12

Hello,

There are already some tips mentioned here:

[DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8LDiscovery/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8LDiscovery/STM8L-Discovery Debugging&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D758000B276AC6C9F9B7A43ACF58B3CEB87C40C&TopicsView=https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8LDiscovery/AllItems.aspx&currentviews=272]https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8LDiscovery/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2fpublic%2fSTe2ecommunities%2fmcu%2fLists%2fSTM8LDiscovery%2fSTM8L%2dDiscovery%20Debugging&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D758000B276AC6C9F9B7A43ACF58B3CEB87C40C&TopicsView=https%3A%2F%2Fmy%2Est%2Ecom%2Fpublic%2FSTe2ecommunities%2Fmcu%2FLists%2FSTM8LDiscovery%2FAllItems%2Easpx&currentviews=272

Please could you try them and come back to the forum if issue still there...

Thank you.

Regards.

napoleoni.jacques
ST Employee
Posted on March 30, 2011 at 10:21

Hello again,

Last suggestion is to try using the very last ST toolset revision. 

Please check it out at

http://www.st.com/

Thanks,

Regards.

normand
Associate II
Posted on March 30, 2011 at 15:02

Let me ask again why the ''STM8L'' board does communicate with STVP (visual programmer) on the same computers setup without any ''com error'' ?

This was the main question.

Regards!

anatoli_soltan
Associate II
Posted on March 31, 2011 at 01:43

I posted a question earlier in a separate thread about the ''The parameter is incorrect'' problem. Basically, STVD is unusable on any of the computers I tried. Any attempt to build a projects leads to that error screen after which STVD has to be terminated in the task manager. I am using the latest STVD version.

I was much more successful with the IAR IDE. The only trick that I had to make it working is to connect the board directly to a PC's USB port without a hub. I would use IAR but its kickstart edition has very small code size limit and the full version price is most likely outrageous as is the case with their ARM offerings.

normand
Associate II
Posted on March 31, 2011 at 04:31

Thanks soltan, anatoli,

I think that we have lost enough time on this issue so we decide to salvage the 20 ''STM8L-DISCOVERY'' units and recuperate the LCD for other projects. I just hope that someone at ST will care enough to at least to let me know where I can find the datasheet for GH08172T LCD.

The bad thing about this is that 20 students where involved in this time consuming issue, but, they have learn one thing : changing your working universe to make a 10$ Board  working (debugging) is not what can call a userfreindly DISCOVERY!

Regards!

napoleoni.jacques
ST Employee
Posted on March 31, 2011 at 11:07

Hello,

Related to your comments, you have to consider that ST has delivered tens of thousand STM8L-Discovery boards and users only reported isolated communication issues that were generally solved by users themselves (driver re-installation, HUB disconnected, USB port change, cable length shortened, etc...). Unfortunately, all users pleased with STM8L-Discovery did not post one message to tell it and enjoy all Discovery features for 10$ only!

Anyway, in order to find a solution for a few minority of users, ST plans in the coming weeks to release a new ST toolset version that will solve marginal communication issues encountered with some users.

I invite you to visit soon

http://www.st.com/

and get the new release once available in your web site. Otherwise, I suggest you not hesitating to get closer with your local ST distributor in order to come to an agreement with your boards.

Thanks and regards.

normand
Associate II
Posted on March 31, 2011 at 15:47

You are probably right, after all what the ''few minorty'' can expect.

We only have 150 to 200 students each year that use our classroom lab.

It is hard enough to keep the lab equipment configuration stable, without having to play with ''(driver re-installation, HUB disconnected, USB port change, cable length shortened, etc...)''.

I can understand that this ''marginal communication issues'' is far from your concern.

Just let me remind you that these students, exploring many embeded technology, can be your future clients.

Finnally, let me also tanks you for the necessary modification to the ST Tool set, just for us.

Regards

disirio2
Senior
Posted on March 31, 2011 at 17:34

Hi,

I had problems too with the STM8L-Discovery until I disconnected it from my USB hub and connected it on a dedicated USB port. Some computers have integrated hubs for front ports, make sure to try a rear port.

Giovanni

---

http://www.chibios.org/

normand
Associate II
Posted on March 31, 2011 at 21:22

To make a long story short, tanks to all for the help.

It is clear for us to that this is an hub/Stm8Ldiscovery/STVD issue.

We use all kind of programmer/debugger in these labs with no hub issues.

This is the only device that is giving us this so We won't change our lab setup.

The project of adding the Sm8L dicovery to our learning program is waiting for a possible St Toolset usb hub compliant.

Considering the time we allredy lost on this I prefer closing the subject.

Thanks again and

Best Regards to all