Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSMC Flash and SRAM recommendation

ersan
Associate II
Posted on June 04, 2013 at 20:14

Hi Guys,

I wanna ask for a recommendation. I want to implement a Webserver to enable a Webinterface.

The example Project with the server is working well.

I want to store the webpage etc. on a NAND flash and I think I need some external SRAM because I'm loading a bunch of graphs and diagrams to visualize stored values.

For SRAM I think I will go with the 8MB from the STM32F4 Eval Board.

There is also a not mounted NAND from Samsung -> would that be a good choice?

Do you guys have some recommendation for an external FSMC Flash maybe with an working driver?

Would be very helpful

kind regards,

Emilio
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on June 04, 2013 at 21:12

Given the amount of consolidation and obsolescence is the last couple of years I'd be afraid of making any specific recommendations, and would place a foot print for a microSD card holder. How about eMMC?

Micron does have an embedded program, with some decade long commitment.

What's your tolerance for fine pitch BGA parts? Both at PCB design, and board house level?

Do you really need that much RAM, or could you render to a file?

Pick a high pin count STM32 part if you need to escape multiple peripherals and the FSMC
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
John F.
Senior
Posted on June 05, 2013 at 10:12

Note. The

IS61WV102416BLL-10MLI

is a 16 Mbit (1M x 16) Static RAM (priced £15 UK). The alternative part CY7C1071DV33 is a 32 Mbit (2 M × 16) Static RAM. (guide priced $83.24 for 1-10).

For information generally ... The (2013 Q3 ?) STM32F429 430 will support SDRAM. Micron seem to be ceasing PSRAM (which was slow but big) but assert on their website they will continue to manufacture SDRAM.

''A Great Memory Solution for the Long Haul

Why complicate your design? If a simple, cost-effective SDRAM solution will do, plug it in and go. You already know it's a reliable part. You know it's got all the features you're looking for. Plus it's a solid long-term solution. We have plans to support it for years to come so it's still a good fit for products with long life cycles''

ersan
Associate II
Posted on June 06, 2013 at 17:01

Thank you guys!

I think the the eMMC and SDRAM solutions are a very reliable information for my design.

I'm currently using a F407 144 LQFP package (maybe I switch to the F427 with 2Mb flash). I wanted to use the F429 but it's not available at the moment (the integrated LCD controller is also very attractive). As soon as the Z-Revision of the F429 is available, I will check the possibilty of a design update.

How many GB's is supported by the F4 if I want to use the micron eMMC (4GB?) ?

I need much RAM because I'm rendering the graphs when the user is opening the webinterface. The values are are stored on the SD-Card.

A/D values stored on SD-Card -> Webinterface with Javascript/Jquery based chart -> visualization (I'm using Highcharts for that, http://www.highcharts.com/  because I didn't find anything other quick integratable software).

Emilio