Associate II
Posted on March 30, 2011 at 20:48

STM32W 32-bit RF MCUs

#stm32w-mac-rf-datasheet
5 REPLIES 5
mtek85
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:30

STM32W has on chip RF support for Zigbee.

It is available in below versions.

STM32W108CBU61 : MCU with Ember Zigbee Stack

STM32W108CBU62 : MCU with  ST Zigbee Stack

STM32W108CBU63 : MCU with RF4CE Stack

STM32W108CBU64 : MCU with IEEE 802.15.4 media access control

For the product avilability,you can ask the distributor.

I guess all the information to work STM32W is available on below link:

http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/subclass/1377.jsp

A company called Dizic is offering STM32W complete modules with all the anteena and other  front end circuitry.For more detail,you may visit at

http://dizic.com/product_details.php?id=1

josescxavier
Associate II

No one have information about it!?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

Speak to your local Distributor.

wim
Associate
Posted on June 12, 2011 at 12:06

Hi,

I was wondering whether someone would have more information regarding the registers of the MAC block in the STM32W. In the datasheet is mentioned, it is there, but how to use it....

Yes, I know, there are stacks available, however, we are in the business of developing our own MAC layers, hence the need for a great deal of flexibility.

Thanks.

colin239955
Associate II
Posted on July 07, 2011 at 19:56

Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 12:06 PM

Subject: STM32W 32-bit RF MCUs

Hi,

I was wondering whether someone would have more information regarding the registers of the MAC block in the STM32W. In the datasheet is mentioned, it is there, but how to use it....

Yes, I know, there are stacks available, however, we are in the business of developing our own MAC layers, hence the need for a great deal of flexibility.

I have the same concerns.  For a while I was extremely excited about this new Cortex-M3+802.15.4 radio SoC! It sounds like the perfect solution.  However, after looking into it in more detail and inquiring with ST about it, it sounds like you only are given the closed-source, proprietary, binary-only firmware development framework for the STM32W.  This means the following:

(1) YOU DO NOT HAVE CMSIS OR STM32 STANDARD PERIPHERAL LIBRARY AVAILABLE.

(2) THE RADIO PERIPHERAL IS COMPLETELY UNDOCUMENTED.

(3) ONLY ONE COMPILER VENDOR IS SUPPORTED.

As you noticed, (2) means you can't write your own 802.15.4 MAC layer.  Well, after looking at the STM32W library, I saw that it actually has a nice MAC library interface!  Nice!  Oh, maybe not... it's binary-only, closed-source, and only for a single compiler vendor: we require gcc support, for compatibility with other platforms and ease of development.

On further consideration, I find that (1) is the final straw that makes STM32W a poor choice of platform:  what is the point of having a Cortex-M3 core if you can't re-use other Cortex-M3 code AND KNOWLEDGE on this device?

Because of

- limited documentation,

- extremely limited chip availability through distributors,

- mandatory use of a closed-source and non-flexible library, and

- complete nonportability of code from other Cortex-M3 platforms,

the STM32W must sadly be excluded from the choices for our next-generation wireless sensor network platform designs.  As painful as the 8051 architecture is to deal with, even those 8051-based 802.15.4 SoC devices may still be the best option at present...