Associate II
Posted on March 26, 2011 at 19:40

STM32 Under Linux

5 REPLIES 5
zexx86
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 14:29

Hi,

You can find on the internet stm32 standard library with makefile, so you have to only add your sources and download arm compiler.

It's probably an uphill battle as there isn't the same commercial drive.

As for a GCC/GNU compiler, the STM32 code can be built with CodeSourcery arm-2007q3-53-arm-none-eabi

Lanchon, and Martin Thomas have done work in this area, so examples, makefiles and linker scripts can be found on the net.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
domen23
Associate II

I'm using Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-188 here. I had problems with a later free version.

Also keep in mind the support for debugger/flasher. I don't think ST-Link works in Linux, so you'll either have to upload firmware through UART (ISP) or with a openocd compatible JTAG dongle (there are a bunch in 50eur range).

Other than that, I'm happily developing on stm32 under Linux since 2008 🙂

donald2
Associate II

I typically use Ubuntu, and it was only a matter of downloading a few packages to get a working GCC compile environment.

Working with the STLink was a different level of effort altogether.  I ended up looking at the protocol and writing my own 'stlink-download' program, which I've put up on Google Code.

The only tricky part of using stlink-download is that it does only what you tell it to do.  For instance, you must explicitly erase the Flash before downloading a new program.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist

''The only tricky part of using stlink-download is that it does only what you tell it to do.''

I would say that's exactly how it should be!

Far too many things try to be ''helpful'' (sic) by trying to anticipate what they think you want - but this just ends up getting in the way and making them inflexible!

''For instance, you must explicitly erase the Flash before downloading a new program.''

A perfect example: it might think that it would be ''helpful'' (sic) to automatically erase the Flash before downloading - but that would then prevent you from doing anything that required, say, part of the flash to be left intact...!