Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Discovery USB development

edxxgardo
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2011 at 10:52

Hello everybody,

I want to start the USB development for the Discovery board, basically to send data and download data from a PC. Could you please tell me which library can I use for that? 

Thanks in advance,

#stm32-discovery-usb
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on May 13, 2011 at 21:42

I want to start the USB development for the Discovery board, basically to send data and download data from a PC. Could you please tell me which library can I use for that? 

Most of us use the ST-LINK USB connection, either with the ST-LINK Utility or the debug environment within the tool chain's IDE via a DLL/driver provided by ST, to download code/data onto the part.

As far as I'm aware, the STM32F100 does not support USB. I have not observed the SWD debug communication channel being viable.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
edxxgardo
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2011 at 23:24

clive1,

yes, you are right. I spent the whole day and found that there is no way to program stm32 discovery via USB. What it is weird is that there are two controllers onto the stm32 discovery: stm32f100 and stm32f103, the later much powerful than the first of course, but used only for downloading data from a pc and for debugging. stm32f103 has USB as one of its peripherals able to be programmed.  So, I need to look for something else. Thanks a lot

Posted on May 14, 2011 at 02:49

The STM32F103C8T6 part provides the ST-LINK JTAG/SWD function to program the STM32F100 part via USB.

While it's technically feasible to program the 103,  your ability to escape the part is rather limited.
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on May 16, 2011 at 08:08

''What it is weird is that there are two controllers onto the stm32 discovery''

Actually, that's not weird at all!

If you open up a Keil uLink (JTAG adaptor) you will see that it contains a microcontroller to do its stuff. In the Discovery board, ST have simply implemented the JTAG adaptor on the board.