cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IAR says it programmed STM32VLDISCOVERY, but not really ??

davidm23
Associate II
Posted on May 19, 2011 at 05:04

OK, with help from ST and IAR's technical support, I solved the build issues in IAR related to version conflicts between IAR6 and demo code/examples written for IAR5 (see previous post). Everything builds fine now.

When I download code to the STM32VLDISCOVERY board, I see communication activity on the LEDs, IAR indicates the file loads with no errors, and everything seems fine.  When I hit the reset button, the original demo code is still loaded?   I can debug (albeit painfully slow ...), but no matter what, the code never REALLY gets loaded into the target?  It always reverts back to original demo code.

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on May 19, 2011 at 05:54

If it's anything like the classic problem with the ST-LINK support, you should try the debug route, checking boxes to update the target before debugging. This works in Keil, which also fails when you do a straight Flash->Download. You could also try writing a BIN file with the ST-LINK utilities.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
davidm23
Associate II
Posted on May 19, 2011 at 05:55

Additional Info:

Outside of the IAR environment, I was able to convert the file Project.out => Project.hex using the ielftool application.  Then using the STM32 ST-LINK Utility, I was finally able to download the hex code to the STM32VLDISCOVERY board.

I have no idea how to replicate this process within IAR and get the board programmed.  Someone PLEASE tell me there is an easier way ... doing this for every build will be a real pain !!!

Thanks,

Dave

Posted on May 19, 2011 at 17:08

In IAR 5.4 I think you'd want to try, Project -> Download & Debug (Ctrl-D), what it is in 6.x I have not idea. But the equivalent operation works in Keil, where the Flash->Download does not. It's a bug in the DLL or driver for the ST-LINK, and seeing how repeatable it is and the number of people having problems with it, you'd think it would have been fixed. I will try with the recently posted DLL's.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..