cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting lots of error messages with this new forum?

infoinfo989
Associate III
Posted on June 04, 2011 at 00:10

Is it just me seeing lots of error messages when attempting to post to this new forum? I get one of these message pretty much every time I attempt to post something (either a new thread or a reply to an existing thread). It seems to be 50/50 whether the posting actually succeeds or not. Here's an example:

There is no file with URL 'Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/stm32f10x_stdperiph_lib_um.chm 3375,/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/stm32f10x_stdperiph_lib_um.chm 3375' in this Web.

5 REPLIES 5
Posted on June 04, 2011 at 01:38

Well no more than usual.

The most common cause is not actually being logged on at the time you submit a comment.

The second is where the comment box goes ''STM32 > New Item'' but doesn't have the correct title for the comment you are replying too.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on June 04, 2011 at 11:04

As clive1 says, this seems to be ''usual behaviour'' for this dreadful forum software!

:(

There used to be a thread in the Forum-Related Functionality Issues forum all about the very many shortcomings of this forum software.

If you put ''Probably The Worst Forum Software In The World'' into the 'Search' box you will find plenty of hits but, mysteriously, they actual thread seems to have ''disappeared''

ST do seem to have a history of suppressing unfavourable feedback like this - similar things happened when they brought out the horrible new website...

See: 

http://bit.ly/kqoD9Y

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on June 06, 2011 at 10:00

As clive1 says, it does seem to be particularly linked to the login.

It just happened to me:

I typed my reply, hit 'OK', and got that error message;

So I hit 'Back', which returned me to the unedited reply form;

I hit 'OK again, and got the error again.

I went back to the message list, then re-selected the message, replied again - this time it worked.

This forum is so unreliable that I usually make a habit of taking a copy of my post before hitting 'OK' - just because there is such a high risk of it not working.

:(

infoinfo989
Associate III
Posted on June 06, 2011 at 23:37

Agreed - I've taken to doing the same thing.

Not exactly a rousing endorsement of Microsoft Sharepoint, by the looks of it.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on June 07, 2011 at 09:05

Who knows if it's Sharepoint itself, or ST's application of it...?

One thing's for certain, though: what we have here is certainly not  fit for purpose as a technical discussion forum!

I was speaking to a webmaster at a certain well-known tools company the other day; they are considering changing their forum software, but would absolutely not even begin to entertain thinking about using Sharepoint!

It is, he said, an absolute nightmare to set-up and maintain.

That would seem to be borne-out here...