cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSP430 information memory equivalent inside the STM32?

Mich1
Associate III
Posted on May 25, 2018 at 11:17

Hello,

Is there inside the STM32L476 a flash memory reserved to user parameters?

This memory would be the equivalent of the information memory of the msp430 competitor.

If no, can I use any sector of the code memory?

Can I protect this sector from execute while all the rest of the flash would be protected from read and write?

Best regards.

Mich.

3 REPLIES 3
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on May 25, 2018 at 11:45

Hi

Le_Mer.Michel

you can protect your memory area using Proprietary Code Read-Out Protection (PCROP): protection against read and write operations on Flash and SRAM memories.

For more details about PCROB, I rocommend you to have a look to

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group0/1f/99/ef/d6/24/8d/44/08/DM00226247/files/DM00226pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00226pdf

Application note.

A firmware is also provided withthe application note:

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/x-cube-pcrop.html

-Nesrine-

Lead
Posted on May 25, 2018 at 11:49

This memory would be the equivalent of the information memory of the msp430 competitor.

The 'Info memory' of the MSP430 is, AFAIK, equivalent to EEPROM (byte access).

There might be some STM32 parts with internal EEPROM, never used it.

Can I protect this sector from execute ...

I think not directly, but with use of the MPU.

Szymon PANECKI
Senior III
Posted on May 25, 2018 at 12:04

Hello,

Whole Flash memory can be used not only to store the application code, but also to store user's parameters. You can write these parameters to Flash under selected address either from application level or by PC application like ST-Link Utility or Cube Programmer.

Except Flash, there is a memory region called OTP (One Time Programmable) memory. It can be also used to store user's parameters. Please see below the extract from MCU's reference manual:

0690X0000060Kx0QAE.png

If no, can I use any sector of the code memory?

Can I protect this sector from execute while all the rest of the flash would be protected from read and write?

It is possible to apply Read Out Protection and Write Protection to Flash memory. Read Out Protection level is applied to whole Flash memory, while Write Protection can be applied individually to Flash sectors, for example the one, which user selects for his parameters.

Regards

Szymon