cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance to get the device header (stm32Xxxx.h) with open-source compatible Headers?

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II
Posted on October 08, 2013 at 09:03

Hello,

Ethernut NUT/OS is a free, BSD licensed cooperative multitasking OS with support for several CPU families. Ethernut SVN

svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/ethernut/code/trunk ethernut-code

supports a lot of the STM32 features. Support is based purely on the ST-provided device headers stm32Xxxx.h from the peripheral libraries we few changes. However MCD-ST Liberty SW License Agreement V2.pdf is not very clear about the use of the headers for non-commercial purposed. This leads to headaches in the NUT/OS community and additional hassle to the user.

As the stm32Xxxx.h headers are a pure description of the STM32 devices and can't be used for other vendors devices, is there a chance to get the device headers in a more open source friendly license, e.g. BSD?

#license #headers
4 REPLIES 4
zzdz2
Associate II
Posted on October 08, 2013 at 11:49

I have looked at my F10x stdperiph lib 3.5.0 and I don't think those headers are covered by this license, no license specified in the headers and I found such statement in the release notes:

The enclosed firmware and all the related documentation are not covered by a License Agreement, if you need such License you can contact your local STMicroelectronics office.

THE PRESENT FIRMWARE WHICH IS FOR GUIDANCE ONLY AIMS AT PROVIDING CUSTOMERS WITH CODING INFORMATION REGARDING THEIR PRODUCTS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO SAVE TIME. AS A RESULT, STMICROELECTRONICS SHALL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WITH RESPECT TO ANY CLAIMS ARISING FROM THE CONTENT OF SUCH FIRMWARE AND/OR THE USE MADE BY CUSTOMERS OF THE CODING INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IN CONNECTION WITH THEIR PRODUCTS.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II
Posted on October 10, 2013 at 14:56

F2-4 and L1 has additional:

* <h2><center>&copy; COPYRIGHT 2013 STMicroelectronics</center></h2>

* Licensed under MCD-ST Liberty SW License Agreement V2, (the ''License'');

* You may not use this file except in compliance with the License.

* You may obtain a copy of the License at:

*        http://www.st.com/software_license_agreement_liberty_v2

zzdz2
Associate II
Posted on October 11, 2013 at 12:27

You're right.

The license first says the software is object or source but then only allows making copies and derivative works of the objects.

No mention of the source.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on November 01, 2013 at 15:02

Hello All,

To avoid any confusion on how to use source files, please refer to STOne-32's answer on the same topic in this

https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Software%20License%20Liberty%20v2

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.