cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 DCMI support for output mode?

arne
Associate II
Posted on July 02, 2015 at 12:21

Reading the reference manual RM0385 (DocID026670 Rev 1) in the introduction to the DCMI on p. 478 I encountered this:

''[...] This interface is also able to transmit a parallel data flow, allowing it to emulate a camera module interfacing with another camera interface.

It may also be used as a generic synchronous parallel inteface ensuring a high data rate

transfer, in receive or in transmit mode.[...]''

However, I find no mention of the transmit mode in the remainder of the chapter. Can someone please clarify?

#stm32f7 #dcmi
6 REPLIES 6
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on July 10, 2015 at 13:10

Hello krueger.arne,

The STM32F7 DCMI doesn't support the output mode.

So, we shouldn't speak about transmission for DCMI interface.

This will be fixed in next revision of RM085.

Thanks for reporting this error.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi,

I see, that RM0385 is fixed now.

I have the same confusion with stm32F446, doc. RM0390:

"This interface is also able to transmit a parallel data flow, allowing it to emulate a camera module interfacing with another camera interface."

Paragraph 15.1, page 423.

My understanding, that is also misleading info and should be corrected as well.

It's a pity, because you'd have thought that would have been useful functionality.

For output you can drive GPIO (BSRR) from a pattern buffer via TIM+DMA(2)

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Right, I already write a code to drive GPIOC over DMA2.

The problem I encountered, is that DMA is loosing some data when it's running at high speed - 36 MHz, having data rate 36 MBytes /sec. Since GPIO port doesn't have DMA underrun /overrun hardware functionality, I can't find a way to accelerate speed at that level, basically glitches start appear at about 12.8 MBytes/sec. In overall datarate isn't much higher than stm32f1xx or stm32f3xx running at 72 MHz (stm32f446 has 180 MHz internal clock).

Yeah, getting a bit high in speed there, bandwidth and contention becoming dominant issues. Also jitter in signal placement.

At some point a FPGA/CPLD would be more appropriate.

The FMC/FSMC external bus would be a better route than GPIO.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi @MasterT​ ,

The last 2 sentences should be removed from the introduction of DCMI chapter in RM0390.

This is tracked internally, thanks for highlighting the error.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.