cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L4 Standard Template Library

stm32forum
Associate II
Posted on August 12, 2015 at 10:06

Will there be released STL files for the L4 series or are there only the CubeMX files?

#stl-l4
7 REPLIES 7
Posted on August 12, 2015 at 11:22

I guess you know the answer... I am not ST but they try hard to get rid of the SPL and don't make them for the new families.

JW

Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on August 12, 2015 at 11:53

Hi Edje,

Yes, there is no Standard Peripheral Library for STM32L4 products. Only the STM32CubeL4 package with drivers and examples is available.

-Syrine-

Posted on August 12, 2015 at 14:38

It's a bit odd then that the ST-Link Utilities guys created a partial port for the external flash loaders, for both the L4 and F7 (F5?)

C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\STM32 ST-LINK Utility\ST-LINK Utility\ExternalLoader\N25Q256A_STM32L476G-EVAL\Sources\Library_Files\stm32l4xx_rcc.c

There are compelling reasons to use the SPL, and there are clearly engineers within ST that understand that, it's a pity that corporate has made such a huge commitment to HAL/Cube to the detriment of the existing user and customer base.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
stm32forum
Associate II
Posted on August 12, 2015 at 16:33

I guess you know the answer...

Yep, but now we haven an official answer from ST.

We going to start a new project with the L4. Until now we used the SPL for F1 and F4 series with not much problems.

Because some people here are totally not happy with the CubeMX library's we are a little anxious to use it.

Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on August 12, 2015 at 16:50

Hi Edje,

“Because some people here are totally not happy with the CubeMX library's we are a little anxious to use it.�?

Please note that CubeMX is not a library; it is a tool to ease developers life by reducing development efforts, time and cost.

It generated initialization code based on HAL drivers that you may find in STM32CubeL4 package.

This later contains a set of examples that may help you t start with Cube environment.

If you face any issue, don't hesitate to contact us (forum or FAEs).

-Syrine-

Posted on August 12, 2015 at 16:51

You don't need to use any ''library''.  The only thing what you really need is the CMSIS-required header (stm32fYYYxxx.h).

Much of the time, SPL provides only a very thin layer between you and the hardware, effectively only renaming the registers/register fields for some init-structure field names. Sometimes it resolves some of the gotchas, and adds its own at other times.

What you lose is a straighforward access to the examples (including Clive's excellent ones) and ''middleware''. What you gain is control, and direct mapping of your code to the RM.

JW

gregstm
Senior III
Posted on August 14, 2015 at 14:09

Yes - agree completely JW. All you need is the required header file,  STM32L4...h It's a much simpler and leaner way of programming.