cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unbrick?

mastyskal
Associate II
Posted on November 15, 2011 at 00:41

I previously posted[DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32VLDiscovery/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32VLDiscovery/5V pin no longer supplies 5V; other problems too&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D758000491D59B8574F8049B5DFA3E8B21CBA51&TopicsView=https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32VLDiscovery/AllItems.aspx&currentviews=0] this.

Is there any way to return the board to its usual state? Currently when plugged into USB, LD2 lights up (steadily, not flashing), the filesystem can't mount, and Keil can't detect the STlink.

I've read on a few threads here that it's almost impossible to brick these beyond repair, but I can't think of any way to go about fixing this.
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on November 15, 2011 at 05:07

Well I don't know what your voltage issues are about, or why the file system fails.

The general way of unbricking the VL part is to connect the BOOT pin to 3V3 so the device boots into the System ROM, and then getting it to erase or overwrite the errant code.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mastyskal
Associate II
Posted on November 16, 2011 at 22:03

Tried this; still just got solid LD2. I tried it first powering through USB and then powering through 5V and GND.

Has nobody posted these problems before?

Posted on November 17, 2011 at 18:01

Tried this; still just got solid LD2. I tried it first powering through USB and then powering through 5V and GND.

LD2 being solid is quite normal.

Has nobody posted these problems before?

Well it depends what your definition of bricked is, if it is corrupting the software on the STM32F100 to the point that the ST-LINK can't stop it, or if you're actually electrically broken or destroyed the STM32F103/ST-LINK.

There are plenty of ways of damage electronic circuits in a non-recoverable fashion.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..