Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

legal rights about SDK code

sam239955
Associate II
Posted on May 22, 2012 at 23:54

Hi,

is it allowed to upload the firmware of my custom inemo application (sportmeter), which based on the SDK of STmicro   to sourceforge ?

WR

Alex
4 REPLIES 4
harinath
Associate III
Posted on May 23, 2012 at 04:09

Hi Alexander,

The firmware ST provides has the followingLICENSE:

STMicroelectronics (“ST�?) grants You a non-exclusive, worldwide, non-transferable (whether

by assignment, law, sublicense or otherwise), revocable, royalty-free limited license to:

(i) make copies, prepare derivatives works, display internally and use internally the source

code version of the Licensed Software for the sole and exclusive purpose of developing

executable versions of such Licensed Software only for use with the Product;

(ii) make copies, prepare derivatives works, display internally and use internally object code

versions of the Licensed Software for the sole purpose of designing, developing and

manufacturing the Products;

(iii) make, use, sell, offer to sell, import or otherwise distribute Products.

As far as i understand, you can publish your source codewhich is derivative of ST source codeto be used on STmicrocontroller. These source code examples meant for GUIDANCE ONLY AIMS AT PROVIDING CUSTOMERSWITH CODING INFORMATION REGARDING THEIR PRODUCTS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO SAVETIME.

I'm not 100% sure about the exact boundaries of this licence. But i saw many people publish Source code derivatives of ST on GitHub, Google code & SourceForge etc..

You can see the attached ST Licence document file for more info.

Attachments :

SLA.pdf : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HzY9&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bNU%2FZYumA3INI3krlmP5DQ7Ox3cN5M0HOdpPuIdyLwu0EAQ&asPdf=false
sam239955
Associate II
Posted on May 23, 2012 at 15:09

thank you! i have little discussion on the KEIL forum , so i posted your statement.

problem is i uploaded my project which based on the IAR Project of the SDK. So i uploaded my derivate on sourceforge and some people in the keil forum go crazy about the legal-licence-copyright-agreement-stuff because it is code of ST which is published on sourceforge.

I dont really understand the people there - making so much trouble. 

but many thanks for your info!

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on May 24, 2012 at 01:22

http://www.keil.com/forum/20905

sam239955
Associate II
Posted on May 24, 2012 at 17:10

last update:

i contacted ST about my lega-copyright questions. I'm awaiting the answer.