cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

impossible to using.

ing23
Associate II
Posted on October 19, 2011 at 22:45

hi everyone... mi name is hector and i am a curious of embbeded world.

I discovered this kit on the interner and logicaly, i have one.

the very important reason that i am writing something here is:

1.- I plugged the board to usb and demo application works very well. ( 1.- o.k.)

2.- i choosed Atollic True studio( 2.2.0 lite version ) to start with demos, examples and so on(2.- o.k)

3.- After this, i really disappointed, of course not for board or softwre. The main reason is that i can not compile none of those programs with atollic. i did all of things that say in manual and nothing happend. just appears bad and bad and bad on console...(3.- fail)

4.- ok, maybe is a bad setting or one o two files that i forgot( i dont know yet) ... but i tried to use STM32 ST-LINK_V2.1. I assume, this utility, have to works with board.. right?? but nothing is happening...(4.- fail again)

5.-and ideas came to my head.. if st-link is a programmer-debugger, when i connect through usb, Usb on board could flashing??? (is it possible??).. and why Win7(sorry) says ''this strange something wear bla bla bla.. is a unknowing dispositive'' despite on computer resides Stlink usb driver.dll, instalation of usb driver was made, and so on..(5.- confused).

if anyone could help me, please let me know where i failed to get the truth about stm board.

all feedbacks are important for me...

thanks a lot evereyone

atte. hector

15 REPLIES 15
Posted on October 20, 2011 at 00:08

I found Atollic Lite to be un-necessarily difficult to build pre-existing projects with. The ones provided by ST were built with the full version, and make some assumptions about workspaces and such. Generally it wasn't a compile-and-run experience.

Try using the eval versions of Keil, or IAR. There are some issues with the download mode of the ST-LINK in Keil, but the debug-and-run option does work.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ing23
Associate II
Posted on October 20, 2011 at 00:29

ok. let me prove..

so i want believe, if i dont have install any enviroment, the STM32VL doesn´t work?

i mean ,''doesn´t'' properly??

Thanks a lot for your time
Posted on October 20, 2011 at 02:46

Well I'm not sure you need development tools or an IDE. You can program the VL Discovery with the ST-LINK utilities, and the board looks like a Mass-Storage device so you an pretty much plug it into any PC to provide power to the board, and it will run the code you have burned into flash.

It's a cheap board and adequate for playing around, or doing a quick prototype or design mash-up. Things are better with the more expensive boards and tools as they are more refined. For instance the U-Link and J-Link JTAG pods are far more robust than the ST-LINK, and the Segger J-Links are usable with pretty much all commercial development tools.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ing23
Associate II
Posted on October 20, 2011 at 08:19

Of course, it is not a ''specialized'' development tool, it is just an evaluating board to introduce yourself to the world of STm32. i think so.

But, my main problem is that board does not work with St link utility. i pluged, it starts blinking, but st-link utility does not recognize. is like stlink, on board does not have Bootloader or firmware that manage the usb protocol, is it possible. let me put a picture. sorry about but my native language is spanish, and how you see, my operating system too.

And it is that i cant undestand??

0690X00000603BWQAY.jpg0690X00000603EAQAY.jpg

guillaumefaye
Associate II
Posted on October 20, 2011 at 19:42

Hello, maybe reinstal the st-link driver, you can fine in the ST weeb page.

ing23
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2011 at 03:50

actually, i did it.

you know what???

i change my usb cable, and guess what?? windows recognize stm32vl as massive storage.

olso,  i could compile the demo on atollic.... but,,,, unfortunately i can not program or debug it..

really, it is so wear... i hope someone knows the answer??

eejaz
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2011 at 19:59

Examples of STM32VLDiscovery boards are written using old versions of the tools. So they don't compile. You need to do required corrective actions to make these examples work. For KEIL, I need to copy system_stm32f10x.c to project files and remove core_cm3.c files. Then all the examples work fine.

ing23
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2011 at 09:00

it could possible.

i can fix it up,,, maybe.

but i still having the common problem that none of ide detect board, stlink utility does the same thing.. whats happening?
eejaz
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2011 at 10:15

In previous post, you claim that it was detected by changing USB cable. Can you please explain the errors you are getting