cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F2xx SPI DMA FIFO error

jpeacock2399
Associate II
Posted on September 25, 2012 at 00:36

When I use DMA on the transmit SPI2 chanel (STM32F205) I consistently get FIFO errors at the end of the transfer, even though the FIFO is disabled.  I verified the DMDIS flag is 0 in the DMA_SxFCR register but the DMA_HISR register still shows FEIF4 flag set.  DMA stream 4 is configured as a dummy SPI clock, no memory or peripheral increment.  Memory and peripheral burst is set to singular (byte).  FIFO is disabled, threshold set to 1/4.

From what I read in the reference manual it should not be possible to get a FIFO error if the FIFO is disabled, yet it still happens.  It doesn't affect transfers but is a mystery.  Has anyone encountered the same situation?

Jack Peacock

#spi-dma-fifo
4 REPLIES 4
mario23
Associate
Posted on May 13, 2014 at 16:08

Dear Jack,

Have you ever found a solution to this? I'm have the exact same scenario / behaviour as you, but on a STM32F207.

Mario

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 15:30

Hi Mario,

Are you enabling the used peripheral before the corresponding DMA stream? If it is the case, a ''FEIF'' may be set. (please refer to AN4031/p32: Using the STM32F2 and STM32F4 DMA controller for more details).

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

jpeacock2399
Associate II
Posted on June 11, 2014 at 15:55

What the reference manual doesn't make clear is the FIFO error is also triggered by falling below the FIFO threshold.

Jack Peacock