Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cube and the Mac

pgregson1
Associate III
Posted on May 27, 2015 at 17:20

Hello,

Is there a Mac version of Cube, or must I run it inside a virtual machine?

Regards,

Peter
5 REPLIES 5
markb
Associate II
Posted on May 27, 2015 at 21:20

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I don't know if it is available for Macs but I am running it OK on Linux using Wine which I think is available for the Mac.

Cheers,

Mark

hbarta
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2015 at 02:21

MX runs natively on Linux by treating the executable as a .jar file. Here is how I run it:

barta@yggdrasil ~ $ cat /home/hbarta/bin/MX
java -jar /usr/local/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeMX/STM32CubeMX.exe
hbarta@yggdrasil ~ $

The installer runs the same way. I have no idea if this works on OSX but seems like it is worth a try.
markb
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2015 at 09:08

So it does, you learn something every day. Thanks for that.

hbarta
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2015 at 14:58

You are welcome. I should have added that it is not totally without bugs. (On recent projects and using MX 4.7.1 it has not generated the FMC init procedure.) I have been told that this results from the difference in case sensitivity in file systems. The other user suggested that these could be resolved by running MX on a loop mounted NTFS filesystem. I have not tried that yet.

rc
Associate II
Posted on October 01, 2015 at 18:20

barta@yggdrasil ~ $ cat /home/hbarta/bin/MX
java -jar /usr/local/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeMX/STM32CubeMX.exe
hbarta@yggdrasil ~ $

I just found this out as well from a friend which beats the heck out of running a VM and Windows to be able to run it. I use this to create and update projects for CrossWorks for ARM which also runs on a Mac. Finally a complete environment which is Mac based!

Now here's a few more tips:

1. Using Automator, you can make a script to make the launch clickable.

2. Don't put the application in the application folder or you will have problems updating and installing libraries. The automator script can go in the Applications folder however.

3. Make sure your Java SDK is updated to V1.8.

4. You can add the correct icon to the automator file by doing get info in finder and dragging and dropping onto the image icon

5. When it launches if you want the dock to display the correct icon you need to add the following before the -jar option:-Xdock:icon=/<pathto>/stmcubemx.png

6. If you want to change the name then add:

-Xdock:name=STM32Cube

Unfortunately due to a bug in the Java SDK, this does not work. yet. Tho it does change the name in the menu bar.

My automator script:

java -Xdock:name=STM32Cube -Xdock:icon=/Users/***/Documents/STMicroelectronics/stmcubemx.png -jar /Users/***/Documents/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeMX/STM32CubeMX.exe

Attachments :

stmcubemx.png : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HzXQ&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bNF%2FoJDnZ.3qZzPhPqRemxQTTXX9iIm.Wgix0T3VaStilLQ&asPdf=false