Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMSM FOC library for ARM-GCC

Mikk Leini
Senior
Posted on March 28, 2015 at 23:29

Hello,

Why isn't ST PMSM FOC library available for ARM-GCC ?

4 REPLIES 4
mikemike9141
Associate III
Posted on March 30, 2015 at 14:58

I definitely share this wish! This would open the door for hobbyists that cannot afford IAR or Keil toolchains, and help spreading this very useful code! Remember the today's hobbyist is the tomorrow's engineer, and the day-after-tomorrow's technology decider.

Regards

Frank

Gigi
Senior
Posted on April 02, 2015 at 08:55

Ciao

ARM-GCC support is not official released because development and testing for another toolchain can introduce delays in the releasing of the package. We have limited bandiwidth and choose to support the commercial IDEs. Anyhow you can ask for the source code and create yourself the workspace for other IDEs.

We plan to have the ARM-GCC support in the official package in the future (not in v4.1 for sure).

Ciao

Gigi 

Mikk Leini
Senior
Posted on April 04, 2015 at 22:25

Hello Gigi,

It's very good to hear that GCC support is in plan. Let's hope you get more bandwidth 🙂

But asking the source code - is that really true? Pardon my bluntness, but why isn't the source code released from first place if it's possible to just ask it? As i understand the HFI (high-frequency injection) algorithm is patented by ST, so doesn't it create some legal obstacle? If i remember correctly, even Texas Instruments haven't released their FOC code and you need to buy their chip with FOC code embedded in ROM.

However, it would be really great if source code can be revealed because it helps to understand better what is going on and do custom modifications or even improvements. One improvement idea i'm thinking of is using low sensitivity Hall sensors on custom built motor so the Hall sensors signal is a sine wave rather than rectangular, and then sample that. Based on phase it's then possible to get the rotor position much more accurately and therefore get max torque at any position on stall / low speed.

PS.

Or should the NDA be signed to get the source code?

Gigi
Senior
Posted on April 07, 2015 at 09:00

Ciao

ST provide the source code free of charge to customers. The only exception can be if there is some patentable material that need to be protected.

The NDA is required. You need to contact the nearest st office. In the web site you can find the contacts.

Ciao

Gigi