Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenBLT (open source bootloader) now supports the STM32 family

Frank Voorburg
Associate II
Posted on November 26, 2011 at 20:11

Dear Group,

Today I released a new version of the OpenBLT open source bootloader. It now supports the STM32 family of microcontrollers, including a demo for the Olimex STM32P103 board. 

With OpenBLT you can erase and write your microcontroller's memory through an on-chip communication interface (UART, CAN, etc.), without the need of specialized debugger hardware.

It's perfect for making quick and convenient software updates, both in the field and during development. Files and more info are available at http://www.feaser.com/openblt.

I hope the bootloader proves useful to you. Let me know what you think and what other targets/compilers you would like to see supported.

-Frank

#openblt #open-source #bootloader
3 REPLIES 3
harinath
Associate III
Posted on May 03, 2012 at 03:51

Hi Frank,

I read STM32P103 Page on OpenBLT site. To flash your bootloader one should have flash programmer in hand. For example if i don't have a option in the device to do this, we can't flash the bootloader to microcontroller. I'm learning the A-Z process of making a device on my own which supports firmware upgrade by user with simple GUI provided for that.

Is it possible to flash the bootloader to microcontroller before it is assembled onto PCB of device ? so that the device no need to be programmed after PCB assembly before dispatching to user. The user, if required, can flash the firmware using the Microboot

GUI & enjoy upgraded firmware.

These may be newbee questions, thanks for your time.

Harinath

Posted on May 03, 2012 at 04:06

If you want to program them prior to mounting on the board you'll need a test adapter, and push firmware in via a USART or JTAG. May be your distributor can do that for you? Would seem to be a strategy with plenty of opportunity to fail.

The more practical approach is to get the USART1 TX and RX, and BOOTx and RESET pins to a header or test points, and program the device in circuit.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
princeharish113
Associate
Posted on November 26, 2015 at 07:38

Hello Clive1,

The more practical approach is to get the USART1 TX and RX, and BOOTx and RESET pins to a header or test points, and program the device in circuit.

Can I do this without using BOOTx Pin, since in my final product I would like to remove that pin. If so should I need to write my own boot loader?

Please help me in this reagard, I'm new to bootloader.

thank you,