cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-H743ZI Support files lacking DXF

KevinA
Senior
Posted on September 19, 2017 at 18:24

Was just notified the Nucleo-H743ZI board would be shipped but when I downloaded the support files I found no support for building a shield. The CAD files were there but in binary export not ASCII, not everyone owns a $25K PCB program. The PDF files show the Nucleo dimensions but there isn't enough information to build a shield since the drawing are missing information. It really is simple, 0,0 bottom left to each connector X,Y pin 1, board outline X,Y and X,Y for the main PCB and another for the Link with a measurement of the gap. A simple DXF with the board outline on one layer, the connectors on another layer, take all of 1 minute to create.

#nucleo-h743zi
2 REPLIES 2
Dave Jones
Associate III
Posted on September 20, 2017 at 01:23

The package looks like it includes Gerber files. Any PCB program, even free ones, should be able to load and view gerber files. If yours doesn't, there are free gerber viewers on the web, as well as converters to convert a gerber into almost anything. The gerber with the drill drawing for through holes will show all the holes used by TH connectors, as well as the board outline.

Posted on September 20, 2017 at 03:52

My PCB program views gerbers just fine, could you please explain why (or how) I should send the time trying to use gerbers to build a shield? I spent an hour doing math to come up with something close enough for a prototype shield, the top left mounting hole will have to wait until l have one in hand since the 'drafting person' that drew the dimensional drawing only referenced the hole from one axes. I took a guess at the mounting hole diameter and the board corner radius, I didn't bother with the 'UNO' connectors since it is my understanding that all the signals are on the two 2X32 connectors. And this after ST released the BLX files solving the pattern/component issues. The drawing I'm referencing are from en.DM00244518.pdf 'Mechanical drawing' but anyone with any drafting experience wouldn't have allowed those drawing to be given to customers.    

Update:

During my 'training time' this weekend I opened layer2.gbr, turned the plane layer off and found a usable board outline with holes and connectors, I imported that into my PCB application, cleaned it up leaving only the items needed to place the mounting holes and connectors plus the board outline. As far as I can tell layer2.gbr is the only layer that can be used to extract the board outline and hole positions needed. This is still unnecessary, a simple DXF with the information needed to create a shield would expedite the issue and work on all PCB software with DXF import.