cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB host interface for WiFi USB adapter?

flyer31
Senior
Posted on May 27, 2013 at 13:55

Hi,

I would like to connect an STM32 board into a WiFi network, to exchange a LOW amount of data from time to time (for control / data sampling, only some 100 Bytes per minute or so).

Concerning hardware requirements, I think the easiest solution would be to use the STM32 USB interface in host mode, and then connect a ''WiFi USB adapter'', which you get already for 15$ upwards as add-on for PC or Raspberry-Pi.

Can anybody give me some hints how to communicate with such a ''WiFi USB adapter'' (e. g. at digikey you get a ''Adapter 802.11n Wifi USB'' from ''LM Techologies''). Is this very much effort? Best of course would be, if some demo software would be available, e. g. for STM32F4Discovery or so.
3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on May 27, 2013 at 15:38

''Concerning hardware requirements, I think the easiest solution would be to use the STM32 USB interface in host mode''

But the hardware part is (almost) the trivial part - the real work would be in the software  to support this!

Even for someone experienced in USB Host development, this is not trivial - and your question suggests that you are not experienced in USB Host development?

A specific problem with buying a cheap, consumer ''dongle'' is that you are unlikely to get any technical documentation or support - it's going to rely on your googling skills to dig-out whatever information is out there.

I think you're more likely to get useful support by using a WiFi module that's specifically designed, documented, and supported for embedded use - there are plenty available...

Posted on May 27, 2013 at 15:42

Find an adapter well supported in Linux, review the driver code to quantify the implementation complexity.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
sdim
Associate III
Posted on May 21, 2014 at 11:52

If you are already comfortable with the STM32 USB peripheral, read the Communications Device Class specifications and the Universal Serial Bus Communications Class Subclass Specifications for Network Control Model Devices

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/

It will take a while to write you own driver.

It is a good idea to follow Clive's advice, find a linux supported WiFi USB Adapter and study it's linux driver.