cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fully customize Virtual Com Port? (USB driver ''STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port'')?

flyer31
Senior
Posted on January 22, 2012 at 23:30

Hi,

I am just trying to fully customize the USB CDC example / Virtual comport.

I changed the USBD_PRODUCT... string and USBD_MANUFACTURER_STRING in usbd_desc.c.

I also copied STMCDC.INF to a TEST.INF, and in the TEST.INF, I changed the two strings at the end of the file (STM=''STMicroelectronics'' changed to STM=''MyName'' and DESCRIPTION=''MyName COM Port'').

If I connect the device, it still connects as ''STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM...)''. I am really puzzled - this text string ''STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port'' is neither anywhere in my firmware, nor in the inf file. Where does it come from?

I also deleted all key from the registry, and anyway when I reconnect, it will appear with this name. I assumed STM is just citing the standard CDC Microsoft driver in the INF file, or am I missing something?

Further I am somehow not allowed to change the VID or PID number in the usbd_desc.c (and of course also in my Test.Inf to the same value). If I do this, then the connect will fail - this is very strange, from other USB controller examples, I am used that I can modify VID and PID in the firmware, and then also in the INF file, and all will work again.
2 REPLIES 2
seb1
Associate II
Posted on August 29, 2013 at 14:10

Hi bil,

I've searched quite a long time too, it's finally not so hard. You just have to find the .inf driver file and modify it with your choosen PID and informations. ST give a driver only for this PID, that's why it didn't work.

I have joined you my .inf modified, which work well.

Sébastien.

Attachments :

driver_VCP.inf : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I19G&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bj2%2FA0Nx7sLC58HkX3Zg6nbUmdbSsiv1Bg6M3n8nqWkfD2s&asPdf=false
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on September 23, 2013 at 15:21

Hi Sebastien,

Bil's thread was started in 2012, I don't think his issue wasn't yet resolved.

Any way, thanks for the contribution which surely will help other forum users.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.