cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB HS Hi-Speed: Alternative ULPI Transceiver?

flyer31
Senior
Posted on December 27, 2011 at 23:06

On the Keil MCB-STM32F400 demo board (which is very nice), for Hi-Speed USB they use the STULPI01B chip. This chip has the disadvantage, that it is available only in BGA housing (I do not want BGA chips on my PCB).

There are alternative Hi-Speed USB ULPI chips available from SMSC (3317 - available also in QFN package with free pads - also has 15kV ESD protection compared to 2kV for the ST device), further from TI (TUSB1210, alos QFN with free pads, 2kV ESD) or from NXP (ISP1507C, QFN, 4kV ESD).

In the older ST boards STM3220G-EVAL/STM3221G-EVAL they used the ULPI chip ISP1705AET of NXP, but this chip seems to be no more available (I am even not sure of this chip ISP1507C - you can get the datasheet from the NXP site, but it is no more included in any product selectors).

Anybody has any experience with different ULPI USB transceivers, especially with the SMSC 331x or some other transceivers of SMSC?

#ulpi
8 REPLIES 8
dragan
Associate II
Posted on January 20, 2012 at 05:23

I use use SMSC 3343. I have it working but I only get it present itself as FS device. I do use HS library and chip supports HS and FS modes. I'm currently looking into this issue, no solution yet.

flyer31
Senior
Posted on January 20, 2012 at 07:09

That's a good coincidence, I am also just making a demo board with the USB3343 chip.

But the news already is very bad - I hope very much that we get it running in HS mode, otherwise we need a re-design.

dragan
Associate II
Posted on February 16, 2012 at 22:02

Update: Good news is that HS is working fine with STULPI001 phy on our board. I didn't measure file transfer performance but what used to be 10s for a 10MB file is now a fraction of a sec. For SMSC we took a snapshot of the chirp sequene and will send to SMSC but at this point we'll replace SMSC3343 chip with ST PHY chip.

rchris
Associate II
Posted on February 23, 2012 at 09:54

Hi,

I have the same problem: I don't want BGA, plus I need smaller quantities (hundreds not thousands). SMSC seems to be the best option regarding these requirements. Has anybody successfully married a STM32Fxxx to an USB33xx ULPI transceiver and achieved HS?

TUSB1210 seems to have an 1.8 V ULPI (not compatible).

Are there any other no BGA alternatives?

rchris
Associate II
Posted on February 23, 2012 at 09:55

Hi,

I have the same problem: I don't want BGA, plus I need smaller quantities (hundreds not thousands). SMSC seems to be the best option regarding these requirements. Has anybody successfully married a STM32Fxxx to an USB33xx ULPI transceiver and achieved HS?

TUSB1210 seems to have an 1.8 V ULPI (not compatible).

Are there any other no BGA alternatives?

Sorry for posting twice, but the first time I received an error message and thought the message was lost.

rrollet9
Associate II
Posted on February 29, 2012 at 11:24

Hi,

We have developed a board with SMSC3320 ULPI phy in device-only configuration. Unfortunately, it seems there is incompatibility between STM32F4 and SMC3320. USB host does not detected our board as soon as we enable the ULPI and USB peripheral in STM32F4. We checked the connections, clocks and all is ok at hardware level. There is no ULPI debug register in STM32F4 so it is really difficult to understand why the STM32 prevents the PHY to correctly setup the pull-up resistors after ULPI initialization.

Anyone from ST to help on that topic?

Thank you

alok472
Associate II
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 15:35

Hi,

Can you pls confirm if any ULPI device in non-BGA package tested with STM32F2x, STM32F4x device in USB-High Speed mode ? Thanks

zuew
Associate II
Posted on December 11, 2013 at 13:23

Is something solved? Did you run stm32f + usb3320?