Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTS211 with different IIC address

flyer31
Senior
Posted on February 24, 2016 at 07:01

Hi,

we need a humidity sensor for IoT home application systems. HTS211 looks very nice as it seems to be I2C readable at any time (whereas other sensors often need a complicated Measure-Pause-Read Intervall timing).

Just we definitely would need the possibility to connect several sensors to one I2C line (we use long distance I2C) - e. g. one sensor for internal / room temperature/humidity, and one or two other sensors need to be mounted optionally (the end customer himself can just connects them if he wants), e. g. for some outside temperature measurement point ... .

For this is it necessary for us to get the HTS211 with different I2C adresses. Either fix programmed (e. g. different order numbers HTS211-A1, HTS211-A2), or in some form programmable - by pin, or if you are 100% sure about your Flash solution, it could also be programmable. (but we would prefer some fix solution - programming IIC-Adress in Flash sounds a bit dangerous).

PS: When will this part be available at distributors?
3 REPLIES 3
licciardello.anto
Associate II
Posted on February 24, 2016 at 09:50

Hi,

The 8-bit slave address (SAD) associated to the HTS221 humidity sensor is unique and this last cannot be changed nor programmed.

However it is possible to adopt other ways to connect more HTS221 devices on I2C bus.

1. Connect the SDA pin of all devices to the I2C SDA line and to multiplex SCL line.

2. Use an I/O expansion device for I2C bus.

An other option concerns the use of SPI bus inferface.

CS is the serial port enable. It is controlled by the SPI master and allows to select the one device at time. CS goes low at the start of the transmission and goes back high at the end.

Regards

Antonella

Hi,

we need a humidity sensor for IoT home application systems. HTS211 looks very nice as it seems to be I2C readable at any time (whereas other sensors often need a complicated Measure-Pause-Read Intervall timing).

Just we definitely would need the possibility to connect several sensors to one I2C line (we use long distance I2C) - e. g. one sensor for internal / room temperature/humidity, and one or two other sensors need to be mounted optionally (the end customer himself can just connects them if he wants), e. g. for some outside temperature measurement point ... .

For this is it necessary for us to get the HTS211 with different I2C adresses. Either fix programmed (e. g. different order numbers HTS211-A1, HTS211-A2), or in some form programmable - by pin, or if you are 100% sure about your Flash solution, it could also be programmable. (but we would prefer some fix solution - programming IIC-Adress in Flash sounds a bit dangerous).

PS: When will this part be available at distributors?
flyer31
Senior
Posted on February 24, 2016 at 10:11

Our modules have only a 4 pin I2C connector - to this we connect a wider variety of local sensor modules (also vibration sensors...).

Of course theoretically there are other wiring possibilities ... but this is a not very practical, please understand. Therefore your proposal really is not very helpful - it more sounds a bit like a joke.

We need at least 1-2 further I2C adress possibilities, otherwise we have to use humidity sensors of another supplier, who allows variation of I2C address. (as your HTS211 has no spare pin for address configuration available, I do not expect that you add such an ''address pin'' functionality - this would be a complete chip design change... but possibly you could offer the HTS211 with 2 further I2C addresses - this would be really very nice!).
licciardello.anto
Associate II
Posted on February 24, 2016 at 14:58

Thanks for feedback.

We will take into consideration your suggestion for future development of new features of the device.

Regards

Antonella