Associate II
Posted on July 31, 2008 at 17:06

Problem with IAR and NVIC file compile

4 REPLIES 4
gary239955_stm1_st
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:40

Gents Good Day...

I'm new to the forum and have been working with the ST Cortex M3 for about a month now. I have yesterday encountered a problem with the IAR STK32 dev kit software build:

I've been working with the LCD Demo program that comes with the kit compiling and adding features from the libraries with no problem until yesterday. I decided to start developing the real project code and to take a short cut and build it using the LCD demo as a starting point. I move the code to a new directory, openned a new project using a structure that I want for the project and re-installed all of the demo modules that I modified into the structure to build it and test it out.

Problem: everything builds just fine except: I'm now getting a error message from the IAR that reads: Error[e16:]Segment INTVEC(size:0xec aligh:0x2) is too long for segment definition. At least 0xax more bytes needed. The problem occured while processing the segment placment command ''Z-(CODE)INTVEC=00-3f'', where at the moment of placement the available memory ranges were ''CODE0-3f''

I get this error during the link stage of the build and it occurs 2 times for the linking crashes. If I go back to the original code and directory and build the LCD Demo it works just fine.

This only occurs in the new directory where I constructed a New Project .EWW .EWP Iar files set. All files are exactly the same their just reloaded into the new project since IAR won't allow you to change the name of a project once its built. I need the new name for internal company documentation purposes. I didn't have any issues adding onto the original demo code and running it on the STK board.

I've looked everywhere in the code for a location where you can change the size of the NVIC segment definition and nada. Plus I don't think that is the correct approach to fixing this. My question is why would the NVIC segment in the build have grown so out of proportion to excede the size limit and do any of you guys have any ideas here or have you seen this before.

Gary M...

asterix
Associate II

Hi Gary,

I think that you have just missed to update your linker file. See attached.

Hope this helps you 🙂

Clt,

Magigimix.

gary239955_stm1_st
Associate II

Astrix, Hi...

You were absolutely correct. I changed the linker path in the options panel in the compiler and it worked perfectly. The only detail is the IAR requires the program be unloaded then reloaded before you can modify the options.

Thank you so much for the help... Gary...

asterix
Associate II

Hi Gary,

Welcome 🙂 me too I faced the same some months ago and I found it after reading the tons and tons of help files from IAR and ST :( , This is a complex for many of us. So I would like to share my findings like many in this forums do, so others could find it easily without wasting of valuable time. Enjoy 🙂

Asterix,