cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Virtual COM Port driver code

jpnorair2
Associate II
Posted on January 15, 2012 at 01:50

Hi: the USB functionality on the STM32 is great, but it is not really deployable for USB-serial given that the only Virtual COM (or Virtual TTY) driver is for Windows.  For dev-kits, windows is OK.  For actual products, it is not OK anymore.

I am going to write open source drivers for Linux/POSIX and Mac+iOS.  I am requesting ST to release the source for the Windows driver, because this will mean that the Linux driver is as close to the windows driver as possible, and it will also make it easier & faster to develop.

#overlapped-io-stm32-virtual-port
4 REPLIES 4
domen23
Associate II
Posted on January 16, 2012 at 12:59

But it's standard usb vcom anyways. Linux will use usb-acm driver, and you'll get the /dev/ttyACMX. No extra software needed.

paulsumpner9
Associate II
Posted on March 13, 2012 at 23:48

Did you manage to get the source code of the Windows driver ?

The reason I ask, is that we have found the STM32 Virtual COM Port driver does not support Overlapped IO and we have been using this mode on our PC application for a number of years using FTDI serial adaptors. Now our new product uses STM32 and we are faced with either downgrading our app to use a more basic method of handling the serial ports or adding Overlapped IO mode to the driver.

tsuneo
Senior
Posted on March 15, 2012 at 07:05

If you don't like the driver, replace it with a generic one, like WinUSB or libusb-win32.

Tsuneo

paulsumpner9
Associate II
Posted on March 15, 2012 at 10:49

I did not realise that this was possible or that these generic drivers were available or compatible - I will look in to this ASAP - many thanks for the tip.