Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f4 kit

jbl_raw
Associate II
Posted on September 15, 2012 at 13:51

hii

1-what is different between programming and debuger

2-i will buy stm32f4 discovery it have st-link programmer . can i programming stm8 by the st-link

thank all
7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on September 15, 2012 at 14:20

Depending on the context, ''programming'' (and, thus, ''programmer'') has a couple of meanings:

1. Creating programs; ie, writing source code, etc. In this case, a ''programmer'' is someone who writes source code.

2. Loading (aka ''burning'' or ''blowing'') the program into the physical chip. In this case, a ''programmer'' is a piece of equipment to perform this function.

A Debugger is a tool for use in debugging programs - it allows you to start, stop, and step the program execution, set breakpoints, inspect & modify memory & registers, etc, etc,...

Nowadays, Debuggers generally include facilities to program chips.
jbl_raw
Associate II
Posted on September 15, 2012 at 22:42

thank you  neil.andrew

you answer first question.

pleas any one know question two pleas help me.

jbl_raw
Associate II
Posted on September 17, 2012 at 13:02

help me pleas

Posted on September 17, 2012 at 16:41

I'd hazard it does not. You'd want to look at an STM8S Discovery, or stand-alone ST-LINK that support the SWIM interface.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jbl_raw
Associate II
Posted on September 17, 2012 at 21:38

clive1 thank youu.

st-link come with stm32f4 discovery. programming only cortex-m? from st only stm32 family.

Posted on September 17, 2012 at 22:33

ST ship a number of DISCOVERY and EVAL series boards with the ST-LINK function ''on board''

The DISCOVERY boards export a debug interface if they are disconnected from the normal target device. The VL has a 4-pin SWD header, the F0 and F4 have 5-pin SWD headers. What other Cortex devices these might support, or be manipulated to support, are subject to experimentation. They definitely won't support JTAG modes.

See Versaloon, and OpenOCD,

http://hackaday.com/2011/02/06/versaloon-ported-to-stm8-and-stm32-discovery-boards/

Given the price one can pick up JTAG pods that work substantially better, you've got to weigh what your time is worth.

I get the sense you're in a place where experimenting and becoming more familiar with these parts and programmers, and will allow you to better understand the process of building and debugging code, and the tools it takes, or those which might make it faster but are not always necessary. The DISCOVERY boards will allow you to try things at relatively low cost. Other vendors have similar low cost platforms for evaluation.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jbl_raw
Associate II
Posted on September 18, 2012 at 21:50

clive 1. thank you. yes i'm new in stm32 world . it's very hard to find information and support  about stm32.