Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMII with external oscillator

Thomas_Socomec
Associate II
Posted on February 29, 2012 at 10:10

Hello,

I have a problem to communicate with a PHY when I use an external oscillator for the Ethernet part.

If I use the clock generated by the microcontroller (MCO pin) there is no problem, the communication work fine.

But if I connect the external oscillator instead of the MCO pin, the communication (through the pin MDIO and MDC) does not work.

In my source code I have just removed the configuration of the MCO pin. I think in this case the microcontroller can not recognize the external oscillator and a problem of clock occurs.

If somebody has already used an external clock for the Ethernet part, I am interesting to know how to configure the registers in this case.

Thank you in advance !

Thomas

#ethernet #phy #clock #rmii
1 REPLY 1
amin23
Associate II
Posted on February 29, 2012 at 18:06

Hi,

I did a test it works fine, you should do as below:

- remove JP5

- enable RMII mode: Uncomment the define #define RMII_MODE and comment the define #define MII_MODE

- the attached file explains how to connect external oscillator (ref SM7745HEV-0M or equivalent) on the U3 footprint

Attachments :

Ext_Oscil.PNG : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I0xQ&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bh6%2F6DtiYZaCWfL5K_BiGu.xKpH1_RBD_sBgji2_jbfrrDM&asPdf=false