Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8Gb SDcard with SPI ?

antonius
Senior
Posted on February 12, 2016 at 00:40

Guys,

Can I use 8Gb with FATFS and SPI ? Or I need to use 1Gb ?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
mark239955_stm1
Associate II
Posted on February 12, 2016 at 03:18

8GB should work with SPI.  It will be a high capacity card (SDHC) so some of the behaviour and functionality is a bit different compared to a standard capacity card (SDSC).  It's all reasonably well documented.

Posted on February 12, 2016 at 03:44

FATFS can work with a very board range of media and capacities. It is dependent on a functional Block IO system. Therefore it is critically important that your SPI SD/SDHC layer actually works properly. You really can't debug the SPI layer through the FATFS one. So if you complain about not being able to open a file, you are looking at the problem incorrectly. I believe I've explained this before.

Yes, it is possible to use FATFS with SPI attached 8GB, 16GB and 32GB SDHC cards. The speed is unlikely to be impressive, most rational designs use 4-bit SDIO.

The ST supplied SD/SPI libraries, I've seen, do not support SDHC cards.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
antonius
Senior
Posted on February 12, 2016 at 05:59

So I can't use examples from ST with 8GB SD card...?

Is that what you're trying to tell ?

Thanks

Posted on February 12, 2016 at 16:02

So I can't use examples from ST with 8GB SD card...?  Is that what you're trying to tell ?

Correct, I don't believe ST's examples using SPI work for cards above 2GB. This is an issue with the examples, not an intrinsic limitation of the hardware or interface.

Can we please stop opening and abandoning threads on this topic area?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..