cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started (progamming STM32 in C++)

colm
Associate
Posted on March 19, 2012 at 10:07

Hi,

I've started a job where we use STM32 microcontrollers, programmed in C++ developed in Eclipse.

I'm an electronics engineer with a solid understanding of microcontrollers (however my experience is with PIC and ADuC, programmed in Assembly).  I have a good knowledge in C++, or at least I thought I had until I started looking at the project code.  I understand that most of our projects are a 'patchwork' of ST micro code, RTOSs, device firmware and open source stuff. 

It seems the fundamental C++ knowledge I have is not applicable, and the code seems to be so abstracted from the hardware that I feel that my controller knowledge is also pretty useless.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started programming STM32 microcontrollers in C. Books, tutotials, online courses or even real time education cources

Thanks

C

#cortex-m3 #stm32 #c++-programming-st32-tutorial #c++ #prog
3 REPLIES 3
colm
Associate
Posted on April 03, 2012 at 09:44

Anybody has some advice on this....?

tomtom9
Associate
Posted on April 03, 2012 at 11:44

Hi,

here is one site about C++ programming:

http://www.cplusplus.com/

Check out their tutorials.

Good Luck!

Tom
root
Associate II
Posted on April 03, 2012 at 17:12

Hello,

Your first step should be Joseph Yiu's book ''The definitive guide to Cortex-M3'' to understand the inner concepts of this MCU (I come from the PIC world too and this book helped me a lot).

Most of the projects you'll find for STM32 are written in C and I personnaly think a lot of C++ projects for embedded MCUs are written by C-programmers, not C++-programmers.

Understand the concepts of the ST peripheral library, and then build up your own ''framework'' to code proper C++ for STM32 (link to interrupts handlers, etc).

Thomas.