Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB HOST (type A) advice

jean_prieur
Associate III
Posted on April 06, 2016 at 12:43

Hello everybody!

I want a little advice on the best way to code (on a STM32F4) an USB HOST ''ONLY'' with a standard type A connector.

The picture of the STM32 > USB CONNECTOR cabling is attached: 

https://my.st.com//public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Attachments/65016/USB_HOST.jpg

I already coded in the past an USB SLAVE (with a midi USB connector), using the library STM32_USB_OTG_Driver

Now I want to start a new project and create an USB HOST, to host and communicate with my USB SLAVE circuit.

So my questions are:

1) 

Is the system on the picture attached is correct?

2) To configure the USB host driver, I need to use the USB OTG HS CONFIGURATION instead of the USB OTG FS CONFIGURATION ?

Thanks a lot, have a good day!

null
8 REPLIES 8
slimen
Senior
Posted on April 06, 2016 at 15:23

Hello,

About USB host configuration: 

The USB device library can be configured to run in either HS or FS mode, as the library can handle the USB OTG HS and USB OTG FS core:

- If the USB OTG FS core can only work in Full Speed mode, the USB OTG HS can work in High or Full Speed mode.

To select the appropriate USB Core to work with, you must add the following macro defines within the compiler preprocessor:

- ''USE_USB_HS'' and ''USE_USB_FS'' when using USB Dual Core Mode

I suggest that you refer to the USB HOST application provided within STM324xG-EVAL as an implementation example:

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.11.0\Projects\STM324xG_EVAL\Applications\USB_Host\DualCore_Standalone

You can refer also to the following documents: 

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00105256.pdf

: STM32Cube USB host library 

Hope this help you.

-ForumSTM32-
Posted on April 06, 2016 at 16:58

Seeing as you are connecting it to the FS pins, it would seem a bit irrational to believe the HS would be used?

Why don't you look at the USB MSC HOST example, using PA9/PA11/PA12 on the STM32F4-DISCO, as a starting point?

\STM32F4-Discovery_FW_V1.1.0\Project\FW_upgrade

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jean_prieur
Associate III
Posted on April 06, 2016 at 19:10

Hi,

I don't want to use the STM32F4_DISCO because this board use an USB on-the-go. If I understand, this communication can be HOST and/or SLAVE. For my purpose, I only want a minimalist host communication.

Moreover, the circuit is too advanced for me, as it uses the ID pin and the STMPS2141STR power switch.

I really want to make the simplest circuit possible.

Do you think my circuit is OK? For example, I don't know if I have to use the VBUS PA9 pin.

Thanks!

troy1818
Senior
Posted on April 07, 2016 at 08:27

Hi,

I think it looks ok. Didn't know that pull down was needed though. You can have the power external of course, but the VDDUSB pin should be connected somewhere, preferably to VDD (if I recall correctly).

Regards,

Rygelxvi
jean_prieur
Associate III
Posted on April 07, 2016 at 16:36

Hi,

1) On every schematic I find, there is pull down on D- and D+

2) What do you call VDDUSB ? The VUSB of the USB connector must be linked to the +5V power supply of my board, because the host board has to supply the USB slave device.

I have some troubles to find on the internet some examples of circuits using USB host only, with my type of schematic... I hope it's possible.
Posted on April 07, 2016 at 17:58

VDDUSB is a pin on some of the STM32 families (L) where the core is powered with voltages too low for the USB pin drivers to meet specifications.

If in doubt prototype your ideas/circuits onto a NUCLEO board.

I could swear OLIMEX and GHI have boards with USB Host connectors, along with a bunch of eBay players.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jean_prieur
Associate III
Posted on April 07, 2016 at 18:43

Thanks, I will test my circuit on the STM32F4DISCOVERY available pins because I have only this board. I just wanted to know if my circuit seems right.

Another question before I begin to test this system: if I want to activate only the HOST mode and not the SLAVE mode, I need to configure my USB like below in the file usb_conf.h ?

/****************** USB OTG FS PHY CONFIGURATION *******************************/

#ifndef USE_USB_OTG_FS

//#define USE_USB_OTG_FS

#endif

#ifdef USE_USB_OTG_FS 

//#define USB_OTG_FS_CORE

#endif

/****************** USB OTG HS PHY CONFIGURATION *******************************/

#ifndef USE_USB_OTG_HS

#define USE_USB_OTG_HS

#endif

#ifndef USE_ULPI_PHY

#define USE_ULPI_PHY

#endif

#ifndef USE_EMBEDDED_PHY

//#define USE_EMBEDDED_PHY

#endif

#ifdef USE_USB_OTG_HS 

#define USB_OTG_HS_CORE

#endif

And to init the USB at startup:

USBD_Init(&USB_OTG_dev,

USB_OTG_HS_CORE_ID

, &USR_desc, &MIDI_cb, &USR_cb);

quentin23
Associate II
Posted on April 11, 2016 at 09:12

Hi.

If you want to use your board as USB HOST, you need to use the host library and not the device library.

So your function will be 

USBH_Init()

and not

USBD_Init().

You really should start with a example or application provides by ST.