Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 Discovery

qasim
Associate
Posted on May 12, 2012 at 08:50

hi

i am starting with STM32F4 Discovery i need to know which development software is the best

keil or the attolic, thank you
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on May 12, 2012 at 15:41

Depends what ''best'' means to you.

Keil is a lot more usable than Atollic, but IAR and Rowley would be too, but frankly that's my ''opinion''.

In order to determine what's best for you, I'd have to know what criterion, expectations and preferences you have. Your best route would be to try the evaluation versions and determine which works best for you.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
qasim
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2012 at 13:44

hi clive1,

thank you for your help, i have been reading forums here and you have been very hel full, i just started with STM32F4 , and i am using open souce coocox IDE it works ok for me uptill now, i have some how configures the uart and its working,

but i am having a problem with interrupts etc can you tell me any good forum where i can learn about different peripherals of STM32F4.

thnk you

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2012 at 19:25

To learn about the peripherals, the first address is the Reference Manual, downloadable at the ST web site.

If you havegeneral problems with interrupts, I would suggest the ARM reference manuals for the Cortex M3/M4 controllers, explaining the core in detail, including the NVIC.

> can you tell me any good forum ...

Well, this one, and, if you use CooCox, the Coocox forum.

The first one is STM32 specific, the latter for all the ARM controllers Coocox supports.

Posted on May 17, 2012 at 20:49

I'd start by working through all the peripheral examples in the FW library. Looking at the other STM32F families would also be constructive, although less immediately applicable. Most have a CHM format help file in the root directory. I've used these parts for years, so I've watched it evolve rather than relearned it from scratch, and it is similar to STR7 and STR9 libraries before that. The source of the library is also a very useful point of reference, if I'm not sure of a syntax or parameter option I'll usually start there.

ARM has a lot of documentation for their cores, and generally this is the most accessible. ST's docs mainly deal with their specific peripherals/extensions.

Joseph Yiu's books on the Cortex are certainly recommended, I'm working through the M0 one now, and it's much thicker (2x) than the original M3 edition, and covers much of the same material, with additional material tailored to the newer cores. We see Joseph on the forum here occasionally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=185617963X

http://www.amazon.com/The-Definitive-Guide-ARM-Cortex-M0/dp/0123854776

+1 for textbooksrus, very good price, books in new/mint condition.

I'm not sure the IDE help much with interrupts. Keil works well with their U-Link, and the Segger J-Link debuggers. IAR is very similar. My Rowley is an older edition I used with the STR7/9.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
adnen_speder
Associate II
Posted on May 20, 2012 at 13:20

A mon avi IAR est le meilleure mais avec quelque inconvénient mais en général  tres bien comme IDE

en deuxieme partie CooCox est tres bien comme IDE est facile à utiliser (bien sure si vous voulez savoir comment ajouter F4 )