Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Firmware Update on B-L475E-IOT01

mikael239955_st
Associate II
Posted on March 13, 2018 at 02:31

Hello

I have the STM32L475 IoT node discovery kit which is advertised as having support for remote firmware upgrade (RFU) via the AWS cloud demo project.

I am using System Workbench and am reading in UM2178 section 5.7.2 that an additional PC utility is needed to produce the 'simple-code' format required. Where can I find this and/or an example of simple-code so that I can make my own app if needed?

Additionally, the firmware will not compile with RFU #defined (why is it disabled?) because se_def.h and se_interface.h are missing and are not included with X-CUBE-AWS. Where can I get these?

Additionally, UM2178 section 5.7.2 also talks about the flash locations defined in the project .icf file. I assume this is for IAR because the file does not exist in the SW project. What is the SW equivalent? The linker script does not look prepared for RFU.

Additionally, UM2178 section 5.7.2 refers to 'simpleformat.h', but this is not included in X-CUBE-AWS. Where can it be found?

Mikael

5 REPLIES 5
neven nikolov
Associate
Posted on April 04, 2018 at 21:46

Hello, I have the same problem, where can I found the 'simpleformat.h' ? I search it on all directory in every projects, but without any success

:(

Posted on April 10, 2018 at 00:29

Sadly the file doesn't exist and ST do not appear to be willing to resolve the issue of this and the other missing files.

If you are interested in investigating the IAR Simple Code format yourself, I found this link useful:

http://netstorage.iar.com/SuppDB/Public/UPDINFO/006220/simple_code.htm

It looks like the main advantage of .sim vs .bin file for RFU purposes is

1. non-contiguous memory regions which potentially reduces file size (i.e. with .bin you are forced to pad between memory regions and download the otherwise useless padding);
  2. integrated checksum for end-to-end error checking.

To investigate further I made my own simple code reader that might help:

https://github.com/mmmstew/simread

*edit

And here is my own bin to sim file converter

https://github.com/mmmstew/bin2sim

Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on April 10, 2018 at 10:59

Hello,

The Remote Firmware Update is not supported in the 

X-CUBE-AWS version 1.2.0.

This is mentioned in the 

X-CUBE-AWS Release Notes:

The Remote Firmware Update has been obsoleted and is not provided anymore. It will be replaced and based on the Secure Boot and Secure Firmware Update component.

The User manual will be updated in coming release to precise this limitation.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
neven nikolov
Associate
Posted on April 10, 2018 at 14:44

Ok I want to make FOTA or RFU not from cloud like AWS, IBM or Azure, only from my local Web server , and for that reason I retrofit the source code to do that. The problem is how to make Firmware update Over The Air with STM32F475 ?  I think I must to write my Custom BootLoader to fetch the binary file from server ?

SSERB
Associate II

Hello!

I apologize for offtopic, how can I get the original source code for B-L475E-IOT01?