cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Reset The Core ST-Link Error

dclark9
Associate II
Posted on May 23, 2012 at 16:42

I am using an ST-LINK JTAG to communicate with an STM32F103RGT6.

We are able to communicate with it using SWD and Connect Under Reset option, but if we uncheck this box we are unable to communicate with it and get an error dialog displaying ''Can't Reset The Core''.

We have no idea why this is happenning as the nRST line is connected and is pulsed low by the ST-LINK - which has been checked on an oscilloscope.

The only other thing that could be a possibility is that in the design the nTRST line is disconnected, but from various documentation sources it looks as though we don't need that.

Very grateful for any help on this.

Thanks,

Dave

#st-link
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on May 23, 2012 at 19:18

Well, you might have a problem with the SWD/JTAG wrestling control of the core immediately after it resets. The window for failure is not insignificant.

If the user space code does things that interferes with the connection very early in the boot process you may well observe failure. Things like reconfiguring the GPIO's, DMA, WFI, etc. are some frequent causes.

Try replicating the problem with BOOT0 pulled HIGH

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dclark9
Associate II
Posted on May 28, 2012 at 15:13

Hi Clive,

Thankyou for your response - I have given what you have suggested a go and found it to make no difference unfortunately - what is odd is that it appears that the JTAG does talk to the processor but simply cannot reset it - we are totally miffed!

Dave

dclark9
Associate II
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:26

I have solved this issue.

I downloaded a copy of CrossStudio and then when connecting to the ST-Link there is an option to set the stop timeout. I set this to 5 seconds ( very high ) and it fixed the problem - can now communicate and debug without any issues via JTAG and SWD.

oostap1
Associate
Posted on April 30, 2013 at 23:49

Few mins ago I got the same error after flashing incorrect binary. My solution was:

- reboot PC

- run STM32 ST-LINK Utility

- full erase

Hope will help somebody.