cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STVD 3.1 errors and problems

pedro23
Senior
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:24

I'm having some problems with it. The problem is that randomly it starts to fail when you try to save any file (project, .c , . h files, etc). It happened to me 3 times already in the few days that i'm using it. One of the times one of the files was directly gone (deleted from disk) so i need to create it again (lucky that it was a .h file). I'm a bit scaried with it.

In other hand i had problems debugging, and it is not intuitive. First thing would be nice to have a direct key to program and go to debug mode (actually it doesnt have a direct key). But the most confusing and annoying stuff is that Run button (F5) restarts the program from beggining even if you stopped previously on a breakpoint..., it is the first IDE where this happens (and i'm programming since 25+ years ago). I dont see the real difference between reset and run button... i had to ''discover'' the continue button. I feel this product as something not 100% finished and i feel like a betatester :). I hope that it gets better fast since stm8s is a very interesting product

The worse thing is that i dont see support in stm8 forums from st, none is answering our questions..., I cant understand that a huge company doesnt support one of them products.

#bad-support-problems-errors
5 REPLIES 5
Stm32User
Associate II
Posted on June 01, 2012 at 10:54

You cannot expect the development environment and compiler to be the same as the one you are use to.  When you change device there is a learning curve; you need to to stop writing code and invest some time in reading the documentation for STVD and also the COSMIC compiler which you mention in another of your ''problem'' posts.

I have used STVD for 8 years and I never have lost a file. If the source files are valuable you should be using sourcesafe or a similar source control tool.  I have also used COSMIC on both ST7 and STM8 and it is a stable professional tool.

pedro23
Senior
Posted on June 04, 2012 at 13:20

Ok let's see it point by point.

First, about the compiler, I'm not the only one that had that problem with cosmic compiler, it is the first time that I see a compiler like this (including everything) by default and I have used more than 100 in my life. If you check options in command line compiler/linker that option is not showed..., and btw, i asked to the company that sell the microcontrollers to me and they didnt even know about this :)... and they are one of the main st distributors :).

I was not the only one with that problem..., stupid to set it to unoptimized  in MCU by default as I said 🙂

[DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8Discovery/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8Discovery/text size overflow (1581) - cosmic&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580004008F0975979A844820611B699DF2ED1]https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM8Discovery/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2fpublic%2fSTe2ecommunities%2fmcu%2fLists%2fSTM8Discovery%2ftext%20size%20overflow%20%281581%29%20%2d%20cosmic&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580004008F0975979A844820611B699DF2ED1

About second thing, stability of the program,... probably you dont have any problem .... but each computer and configuration are different, each user use IDEs in different ways, etc. Maybe my method with IDE is wrong, but since I'm just new in this IDE I use the basic buttons/functions, nothing special, and using this basic buttons I got exceptions in the program and files losts (3 times, but none since last comment).

And about the support, a good example is that you can see a lot of open threads and I didnt notice any people from ST answering questions like I have seem with other companies in forums. And last week I was talking with a guy from ST and I told him these impressions.

pedro23
Senior
Posted on June 04, 2012 at 18:32

Here we go... I got it again

0690X00000602ewQAA.jpg
pedro23
Senior
Posted on June 04, 2012 at 18:37

It previously show ''Violación de recurso compartido durante el acceso a <path>\MFC2D5.tmp''. It is translated to something like ''violation in access to shared resource <path>\MFC2D5.tmp'' with just an accept button, then you press then accept.

After that you get the above window, and logically you press no... anyways this time i save to clipboard the file previosly.

After that if you try to exit from workspace you get errors from st IDE ... AND THE FILE IS GONE.
Stm32User
Associate II
Posted on June 07, 2012 at 16:24

This is a public forum provided by ST for users to help other users.

The fact that no one has answered your post suggest they haven't seen the same problems and therefore cannot help you.

You need to contact ST support for them to help you.

http://www.st.com/internet/com/home/home.jsp

and click the support tab. Fill out a technical support request form.