Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32f407vg discovery cannot communicate with ST link

vinothraj
Associate II
Posted on July 18, 2012 at 16:51

it shows like:

Error : Cannot communicate with the device !

Check the SWD cable connection and check all the needed pin connections on the SWD connector.

Reboot the ST-Link with USB cable.

If the device has been programmed with Protection Level 2, no more communication is possible.

What went wrong?

Advance help for Any Help   

#stm32f407vg-discovery #stm32-discovery #stm32-discovery
14 REPLIES 14
Posted on July 18, 2012 at 17:47

Hard to say from the data provided. What did you do before it broke? Has it ever worked? Do you have the right drivers, and dev tools?

If you interfere with the SWD/JTAG pins, or have DMA or WFI loops, these can all break ST-Link connectivity. The debugger has to wrestle control of the processor at reset, if you have aberrant code running early in the reset path you may not be able to regain control.

Suggest you pull BOOT0 high so that it boots into the system loader, a safe harbour from which you can erase and reprogram the flash.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
vinothraj
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2012 at 08:03

Again i can able to erase  and program my stm32 discovery?

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2012 at 10:15

> Error : Cannot communicate with the device !

That suggests you have a problem with the target device, the STM32f407vg .

The STLink part works well, so no issue with the drivers.

Have dropped the board, i.e. damaged the ext. quartz ?

I would also check the supply voltages, as close to the controller pins as possible.

And, as clive suggested, I would try a mass erase in bootstrap mode.

vinothraj
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2012 at 12:01

thanks clive1 and fm for your quick reply.

STM32f407vg works well.i already downloaded my application program in  my discovery board.That program works well because leds in my discovery board glow according to my program.but one problem is there in my application program-audio is not coming from audio jack of discovery.

Problem:

1. i can not able to erase and reprogram my stm32 discovery(st link error)

2.in my application,audio is coming from jack.last 2 days audio does not come.but other functions like uart and led working fine in same application.

And how to do the

bootstrap mode?

Posted on July 19, 2012 at 13:30

And how to do the  bootstrap mode?

BOOT0 = HIGH, RESET
Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
vinothraj
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2012 at 13:54

i can not understand that boot0=HIGH. How can i do that?

i give 3v or 5v to boot0 pin in my stm32 discovery?is it correct?

Posted on July 19, 2012 at 14:01

3V either from the rail, or via a pull up.

vinothraj
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2012 at 14:30

i did that,But it does not work.i shows same error in the screen.

Posted on July 19, 2012 at 18:56

Then perhaps you have some hardware issues with the board. Check the supply voltages, jumper and solder bridge settings, etc. Check you haven't stuck the board in some conductive foam.

You could try it on another computer, you could check for software conflicts like Daemon Tools.