Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

''Can't halt the core''

vivek2
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2012 at 02:32

Hello Every1,

Recently, i've been getting a weird error message from my STM32F4 discovery board. After the compilation, when i tried to enter the debug mode the following error message is displayed ''Can't halt the core'' and i believe the system gets reset. After i switch the board to another USB port the board seems to work fine. But after some time while i try to enter the debug mode the same error occurs. I have been working in my rs 232 communication trying to read a file thru hyperterminal and store it in flash. Any help wud be much appreciated.

FYI: Im using stm32f407vgt6 IC with 8Mhz crystal.

#wait-for-you--clive1-!-!-! #wait-for-you--clive1-!-!-!
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on September 13, 2012 at 04:53

I think one of the problems with the Discovery/ST-LINK implementations is the lack of an explicit reset. There are a number of things you can do on the STM32's that make them difficult to gain control of. Things like DMA and WFI loops, that occur early in the reset vector spring to mind. Even with tools like Segger J-Link's the chips can run for tens of thousands of cycles before it can wrestle control of the processor after the initial reset. The J-Link's also have multiple reset strategies, something the ST-LINK's do not.

To this end you might want to put a long spin loop real early in the execution path, before code that reconfigures the GPIO and starts your core functionality.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
vivek2
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2012 at 09:24

thnx clive! but that didn help me. Everytime it occurs it resets my system and runs my code one more time. I believe its coz of the flash erase(from example code). When i remove the flash erase part it does not occur. but i need flash erase everytime i start my application. any views??