cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 Discovery not working out of the box.

bsp0524
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2012 at 19:53

I got 2 new STM32F4 Discovery boards and both are not being recognized by STLINK utility. Here some of the observations. I compared the behavior to STM32F1 discovery board. (It is Windows 7 PC).

1) Plug in STM32F1 board. I see a pop up window saying USB mass storage device found.

Plug in STM32F4. No window pops up.

2) In STLink Utility I press the connect button. STM32F1 board is found and I can download program to flash. With STM32F4 I get a error message saying ''No STlink device found''

My board has Rev Z devices. I tried the patch that was released to support Rev Z device. That did not work either.

If we forget about programming the target device, I am not sure if the basic USB connection to the STLink is working. Any way to test/confirm this.

Thanks

#stm32f4discovery-stm32f4
15 REPLIES 15
Posted on July 23, 2012 at 21:07

Do any of the LEDs illuminate? The STM32F4 has two USB connectors, only the Micro-B connects to ST-LINK and supplies power to the board.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
bsp0524
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2012 at 21:17

Yes, I have used the Micor-B connector. The LED's are lit up and 4 leds surrounding the accelerometer are blinking. The default accelerometer program is working and changes the LEDS as I tilt the board.

If I disconnect the target from the STLink by opening the jumpers, there is no change. The STLink is still not found.

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 21:33

Go to Device Manager and confirm it's found the USB Device

Universal Serial Bus Controllers

STMicroelectronics STLink Dongle

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WinUSB.sys

6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Keil shows it as ST-Link deprecated.

This is on a Win7 x64 system. Check you have suitable drivers installed.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
bsp0524
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2012 at 23:06

I think I got it working. Had to uninstall everything and re-install. Plus I think earlier I had STLink driver as opposed to STLink V2 driver.

Even with STLink V2 driver installed, the device manager was showing as unrecognized and had yellow icon showing driver issues. I had to chose the device and update driver in device mananger. It worked after that. I will have to check to see if Rev. Z issue will show up when I try to program the target. 

jurij
Associate II
Posted on July 24, 2012 at 02:17

Micro? I don't think so. Mini USB is for supply & ST-Link, Micro USB for USB OTG & stuff.

Posted on July 24, 2012 at 13:13

Micro? I don't think so. Mini USB is for supply & ST-Link, Micro USB for USB OTG & stuff.

Sorry, you're right the Mini-B, not the Micro-AB

technoshader
Associate
Posted on September 24, 2012 at 22:44

I've run into the same problem. ''USB device not recognized'' when I connect STM32F4 (rev. Z) board to my comp (Win 7, 64-bit). I have installed ST-LINK V2 USB driver. I tried to reinstall it but it didn't help. Please, can someone give me some advice what to try?

Thanks

Posted on September 25, 2012 at 22:08

Try it on a different PC.

Check that Win7 is set to accept unsigned drivers.
dan_allegre
Associate
Posted on September 29, 2012 at 22:57

Hey all.  I had the same problem.  Version ''Z'', not being recognized at all by stlink utility or coocox coIDE while my stm32vl worked fine.  Tried a bunch of fancy stuff, thought maybe it was dead on arrival.. 

I ended up just going into device manager and clicking on ''update driver'' and selecting the automatic search option.  Windows7, 64bit.

I know it's really dumb, but this extremely simple solution is what worked for me.  Now it downloads and debugs (using coocox coIDE with armgcc) reliably.  Hope that helps somebody.