cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it needed license for using Lora and Spirit?

Pawe? Jab?o?ski
Associate II
Posted on May 11, 2017 at 10:33

Hi,

I would like to build my commercial applications with LoRa and Spirit using ST modules. Is it true, that I have to pay for license, even when I will use ready to use modules? If yes, where I have to buy that license and how much does it cost? I have to join to LoRa/Spirit association?

Thanks,

Pawe?

#spirit #lorawan #lora #license
2 REPLIES 2
Julien Tiron_O
Associate II
Posted on May 14, 2017 at 10:37

Hello Pawel,

First of all, LoRa and Spirit1/S2-LP (Spirit1 new generation) are two completly separated technologies:

To sum up, the license and associated fees are linked to the fact that your application is accessing to an already deployed network or not.

Regards,

Julien

Posted on May 14, 2017 at 19:58

I'm not sure any of that would preclude someone suing you for patent infringement if they feel your product violates their rights in some way. ST is paying Semtech, but other might think they are due something.

http://rethinkresearch.biz/articles/semtech-announces-stmicro-lora-licensing-deal-microchip-launches-11-module/

The LoRa modules do work very well as sub-GHz radios, the broader networking options seem to be for very low network usages.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..