Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK Firmware upgrade

thibaut2
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2012 at 16:19

Hi.

I'm working atm on both STM8S-discovery, and STM32VL-discovery.

I'm using STVD + Cosmic for SM8S, and Keil for STM32.

Now that i've installed Keil, when i try to flash something on stm32 i get this message :

''Old STLINK firmware detected. Please upgrade it.''

My question :

If i do upgrade the firmware, will i still be able to flash something with STVD on stm8S-discovery ?

Which version shall i take ?
4 REPLIES 4
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2012 at 16:40

I'm working atm on both STM8S-discovery, and STM32VL-discovery.

Now that i've installed Keil, when i try to flash something on stm32 i get this message : ...

This is somehow confusing, because both the stm8s discovery and the stm32vldiscovery come with their own physical STLink attached. Upgrading the one shouldn't affect the other.

Firmware for the STLink can be found on the ST site. I used the STLink Utility (by ST) to upgrade the STLink part of my stm32-discovery.

Now that i've installed Keil, when i try to flash something on stm32 i get this message :

''Old STLINK firmware detected. Please upgrade it.''

You can try to set the ''STLink (Deprecated Version)'' as debug adapter in Keil.

I'm not sure if this works for a STLink V1, which the stm32vl_discovery is.

My stm32f0_discovery (STLink V2) works --only-- with this setting in MDK V4.50.

thibaut2
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2012 at 16:53

Adding to the confusion, i'm working on a virtual machine... both STLINK (from STM8S-disco and STM32VL-disco) are detected with same product ID, only serial numbers are different.

I gonna try to use ST utility you mentionned. thanks

Edit : it seems that my VM refuses to work with STLink from STM32VL-disco, which seems to be retained by my Host OS. So i guess that Keil was triing to flash on STM8S board until now...

I'm using MDK-Lite V4.54

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on August 21, 2012 at 07:58

Adding to the confusion, i'm working on a virtual machine... both STLINK (from STM8S-disco and STM32VL-disco) are detected with same product ID, only serial numbers are different.

That could well be.

But the STLink part (that part where the STM32F103 resides) is probably identical.

I have some (mixed) experience with the stm32vl_discovery. It is from about the same time when ST dropped that stm8s-discovery at my desk (which I never used up to now)

Both are supposed to implement a USB mass storage profile, and are seriously broken. Linux is much more meticulous with USB devices, it takes several minutes until it finally gives up on this STLink V1 parts.

I am not using virtual machines for this purpose, so I can't help you on this part...

thibaut2
Associate II
Posted on August 21, 2012 at 10:00

I had it working yesterday, and i didn't have to upgrade the firmware. It was all about my virtual machine ^^

Well, the only solution i found until now, is to have only the stm32VL plugged in, and to restart my virtual machine (after having configured usb). not that great, as i wanted to developp both at same time (one communicate with the other.. ) but at least I can flash them 😉