Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display a simple string with STM32F429I DISCO-BOARD

julienterrier39
Associate II
Posted on September 04, 2015 at 23:22

Hello, 

I recovered some examples to display some string on my DISCO-BOARD, but the example that I found are all build with Drivers/BSP/STM32F429I_DISCO which use as source and header files ==> stm32f429i_discovery_lcd.c / stm32f429i_discovery_lcd.h.

Then I look at the latest package you provided. More precisely I look at LTDC_Display_2Layers  example and I saw that to display the picture we didn't use stm32f429i_discovery_lcd.c / stm32f429i_discovery_lcd.h but rather used stm32f4xx_hal_ltdc.c and stm32f4xx_hal_ltdc.h and you also use directly registers for LTDC initialization!

I don't have yet knowledge to fully understand Lcd_Config function. 

In stm32f4xx_hal_ltdc.c I didn't find any API to display a simple string. 

Please can you help me to display a simple string with  stm32f4xx_hal_ltdc.c and stm32f4xx_hal_ltdc.h 

Nb: I use as IDE keil µvision 5.
10 REPLIES 10
tm3341
Associate II
Posted on September 05, 2015 at 11:25

Hi,

maybe you should start with simple things with this board first?

stm32f429_discovery_lcd file has entire API for LCD, drawing operations, strings and so on.

Your example 2layers only shows how to put data from ram to LCD with single color. Fill SDRAM and LTDC will transfer to LCD this data. That's all. As example name says, ''Display_2Layers''.

There is also readme.txt file which can do the job for you!

julienterrier39
Associate II
Posted on September 06, 2015 at 14:26

thank you for your advices but I don't meet problem to build an application with the functions available from stm32f429i_discovery_lcd.c even if  I don't have a huge experience in embedded firmware.

But my question is, someone can explain me how to build an application wich display string with driver stm32f4xx_hal_ltdc.,  maybe there is no function suited to display a string available in this driver

julienterrier39
Associate II
Posted on September 06, 2015 at 14:29

Posted on September 08, 2015 at 12:57

Hi julien.terrier,

If you want to display a string you can use GUI_DispStringAt() function of the STemWin library (STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.8.0\Middlewares\ST\STemWin). Also, you can refer to the example ''STemWin_HelloWorld'', that displays a string, under STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.8.0\Projects\STM32F429I-Discovery\Applications\STemWin. More informations are available under

http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/DM00089670.pdf

-Shahrzad-
julienterrier39
Associate II
Posted on September 10, 2015 at 15:00

Hello Shahrzad,

thank you for your advice, I'll try these functions to make an good application!

Currently I work on project or I need to know how work USART/GPIO/LCD(display string)/MEMORY(optional)

Because in my project I have to recover some data from an industrial device then display the data on my DISCO-BOARD!

Posted on September 11, 2015 at 13:53

Hi julien.terrier,

There is no all ready example for your case, but you can combine the example of ''STemWin_HelloWorld'' (last mentioned) and that of UART under STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.8.0\Projects\STM32F429I-Discovery\Examples\UART.

-Shahrzad-

julienterrier39
Associate II
Posted on September 11, 2015 at 14:36

Of course, It was my idea. I'll try to do this...But at first I will learn to handle GPIO.

How to put a topic resolved ?

Thank you.

Posted on September 15, 2015 at 13:12

Hi julien.terrier,

''How to put a topic resolved ?''

Do you mean a topic in the forum?

-Shahrzad-

julienterrier39
Associate II
Posted on September 15, 2015 at 22:48

Hi,

if you prefer close topic or close the discussion and noted that the pb is solved.