Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability of HAL release note

stst9193
Associate II
Posted on March 25, 2015 at 15:26

Hello,

I just came accros a new STM32 HAL version (driver dated 09 March 2015, version V1.3.0).

Where can I find a description of changes compared to previous version(s)?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
petr239955
Associate III
Posted on March 25, 2015 at 16:44

What STM32CubeF? do

you think ?

The STM32CubeMX shows main changes in the New Libraries Manager. Other source of information is Release_Notes.html file located in STM32Cube Repository.
stst9193
Associate II
Posted on March 26, 2015 at 08:51

Hello Petr, and thanks for the reply.

I am not thinking STMCube, but really the HAL drivers release notes for the STM32F4 series.

The release note for the STMCube repository show the main changes for the STMCube itself not for the HAL.

The ''New Libraries Manager''  from stmcube provide explanation like
  • Fix known defects and several enhancements implementation
This is not detailed enough to help figure out what need to evaluate the impact of changes in libraries onto our own code.

As an example of change we noticed that some wait loop in RS232 DMA end transfer have been replaced by an interrupt to the appropriate condition (yeh, excellent change from real time perspective). This end up requiring some changes in our own code. 

Unfortunately equivalent changes have not been made in the I2C HAL.

So we really need HAL release notes.

Gerard

joe
Associate II
Posted on March 27, 2015 at 11:17

Hi Gerard,

I agree. If ST want people to use HAL drivers for 'real' projects then there should be detailed release notes. Currently we have our projects submitted to SVN and when we migrate to new library version we have to manually check each file used for changes which isn't ideal.

Posted on March 27, 2015 at 17:22

Agreed, the structure for the FatFS system changed, isn't documented, and doesn't match the examples.

Without release notes I had to resort to diffs to figure out what changed, which was a good thing since the processor clock chain setup got broken in the migration, and the ADC section generates incorrect code.

As for the known problems being fixed, I have no idea what that meant.
Posted on March 30, 2015 at 19:26

Hi yvraut.gerard,

All STM32Cube Packages contain HAL_Drivers Release_Notes file located in Hal driver folder: if you use STM32CubeF4 you can find it in this repository STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.5.0\Drivers\STM32F4xx_HAL_Driver and the same for all STM32Cube packages.

0690X00000603OaQAI.bmp

Best regards,

Heisenberg.

stst9193
Associate II
Posted on March 31, 2015 at 10:09

Hello Heisenberg,

This is exactly what i was looking for!!!

I would suggest to make it more visible to user

- copying it into the driver repository of every project created from MCube

- Having an easy/obvious way to open it from MCube itelf

Regards

Gerard